How much battery health should I have after 9 months?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok my battery was doing great and giving me 2.5 hours on a charge for months. Now all of a sudden it won't even charge past an hour and 40 minutes. Is that normal for my battery health to be that low this soon?

I have a 2.2 ghz SR mbp with 2gb ram running Tiger OS X. Purchased it in July 07.

Does apple have any warranty or defect guarantees against the battery? I checked Coconut battery and it said my mbp's batter is only at 80% now. That's horrible. :(

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed. Without knowing how many cycles of your battery you used in a month, all I can say is that your battery health should be somewhere between 0 and 100% of initial max capacity. ;)

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

lol yup, his does sound a little low though, the results should be interesting

also depends on what you are doing if you're running aperture or FCS all the time doing CPU intensive work then yeah you're only going to get about an hour of battery life

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

I run FCE from time to time (well, at least once a month) and mostly just listen to itunes and am online. It depends on the day really. I do do a LOT of computer work though. Right now my computer is charging, but I'll tell you what Coconut battery said.

Current battery capacity: 4623mah
    Original battery capacity: 5500mah
    84% (it said 80% before I started charging it)

Battery load cycles:259
    Age of your mac: 9 months (I actually have only owned it about 8-bought brand new)

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

pretty much the same as mine, and its 9 months old as well

Attached Files:

6. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

oh ok...thats a bummer...that's terrible...im going overseas this summer so I definitely want to get one that'll last longer than that

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There you go. ;) You get lucky sometimes, but battery life on average is around 300-400 cycles, and you're pulling up to the end of it. You can't expect every battery to work at +2 SD's -- the bell curve doesn't work that way!

You can try giving it some more consistency -- charging it all the way up and running it down until sleep starts without recharging or going on AC power in the middle, and then recharging (immediately after the computer goes to sleep automatically). LiIon batteries are not supposed to really need conditioning, but it does seem to help to periodically run them this way, in my experience, and since yours already is not doing so well, you don't have anything to lose.

9. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

Strange, mine has never lasted long either. I bought mine SR MBP last summer as well and look at my results. This is pretty bad right? I mean for only 10 months, my battery usually lasts like an hour and a half at most. Any suggestions?

[​IMG]

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now yours is atypical. You should be doing better than that -- a lot better than that -- at 60 cycles. I'd try one or two good steady power draws (e.g. charge fully, deplete without returning to AC power till auto sleep, repeat). If it doesn't improve fairly quickly, contact Apple and ask for a replacement.

11. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Ditto. You should be able to get a free replacement no problem.

12. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

you think so? even after like 10 months? and who would i even call for that the apple retail stores or my apple care plan?

13. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

You can go to an Apple Store or phone apple.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's what a one year warranty is for. :p There are twelve months in a year. ;)

In your case, your battery's performance level is very inconsistent with how much you used it... at 60 cycles, the battery should work close to how it did when it was new. 260 cycles, like the OP, is a different matter.

You should be able to do it either way, AFAIK... but you should do it before your warranty expires.

15. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

16. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok well, I'll see what the people at Apple have to say and if nothing favorable I'll get a new battery, but coconut batt says one thing, but my battery isn't even lasting a full hour and this is just with internet surfing-no other open applications or anything. This is extra annoying. :mad:

17. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Errm... how did you survive 10 months with only 60 cycles? That's 6 cycles a month... 5 days a cycle...

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Good luck... but do you understand the concept here? What you're saying is akin to saying that you can't believe your new car tires wore out after only one year, and neglecting to mention that you drove 80,000 miles in that year....

19. mrchainsaw5757 macrumors regular

mrchainsaw5757

Score! I called apple care and they are sending me a new battery within 2 days!

20. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Just remember to send yours back. If you don't, you will get charged for the battery.

21. paenguin macrumors member

paenguin

funny thing with coconut battery.
    the old version showed 122 months as age of mac.
    with the 2.6 version, it's -568 weeks. :D