How much battery life are you getting on your rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EvOlso, Sep 30, 2013.

1. EvOlso macrumors newbie

Just last week, I was getting 11 hours of battery life (screen dimmed, keyboard lights off, 2 applications running). Now my rMBP is getting less than 2 hours on a full charge. It's been 30 minutes and the battery percentage is already down to 72% and I'm only running Safari and MS Word. The entire thing is burning up too. Hot to the touch. How about you?

2. m98custom1212 macrumors 6502

Flash on Safari?

3. EvOlso thread starter macrumors newbie

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are many factors that impact your battery life. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
    The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.
    As for the heat, if you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis), or 1200 for the newest MBAs. Older iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range, while the newest iMacs have a single fan, spinning at a minimum of about 1400 rpm. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues:

5. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

What's the best way to avoid flash triggering the dGPU on your Mac?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read my post, just before yours, and follow the first link.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

IMO the best way is just remove the Flash plugin altogether from Safari, then use Chrome if you need to access a site that uses Flash. You can read about how to do that here.

8. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Thanks, it doesn't truly answer my question though. I guess the Youtube HTML option is viable.

So chrome runs flash more efficiently than Safari eh?

EDIT: Just finished reading the article. So that allows for efficient use of Safari due to disabling flash, while also not having "No-flash" boxes all over the place. And the Youtube HTML extension allows for youtube videos to play. So why do you still use chrome on the side? If you want to play a flash game or something?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't believe Chrome is any more efficient with Flash.

If you have Flash installed in Safari, even with something like ClicktoFlash (CTF), the site will see you have Flash and try to serve you the Flash version of the site. Then CTF will block the flash and you get those ugly CTF placeholder things all over. If you do not have Flash in Safari at all the same site will often detect that and often serve you a HTML5 version that is fully functional without Flash. Much better option.

Then for the rare instance you run into a site that needs Flash, just fire up Chrome.

You can make an Applescript with the below text and save it as an application, then if you are in Safari and need to launch the page in Chrome just click this Applescript app to launch the front Safari page in Chrome. I do this from the Alfred launcher, but you can just put the Applescript app in the Dock if you like or run it from Spotlight.

Yes, the only reason I keep Chrome installed is if I need to access a site that requires Flash, which is happening less and less frequently.

Code:
    tell application "Safari" to set currentURL to URL of current tab of window 1
    tell application "Google Chrome"
    	activate
    	if not (exists window 1) then make new window
    	tell window 1
    		if URL of active tab is "chrome://newtab/" then
    			set URL of active tab to currentURL
    		else
    			make new tab with properties {URL:currentURL}
    		end if
    	end tell
    end tell

10. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

http://gfx.io/

set to "Integrated" to force it to use only integrated

set to "Dynamic" for switching based on need

and finally to "Discrete" for only dedicated.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually it does. Pay close attention to bullet points 4, 5, 6 and 7 in that section.

12. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

i get around 3-5 hours depending on what apps i use. Have around 210 cycles on my 4 month old retina

13. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Ah yes I guess it does, thanks :D. Does gfxCardStatus allow you to set iGPU or dGPU for individual programs? Like I could do iGPU for Safari, but let remain auto-switching for the rest of my programs?

Thanks a lot for the help, I will probably use that method. I only really need flash for YouTube and I can indeed use chrome for other flash needs, if necessary.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I haven't checked recent versions, but I don't think it offers a per-app setting.

15. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Superrrrrrrr lame. I know that seems basically impossible from a developers perspective given the restrictions of the OS, but it still limits your usage. I thought I read somewhere there was an app to trigger dGPU for certain programs. Maybe there isn't for the other way around though, eh.

16. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20