How much better are the new 13" Retina's compared to...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by logicpro7, Oct 24, 2013.

1. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

How much better are they compared to my mid 2012 13" mbp i5 2.5?

It has been modified though... 16gb, Samsung 256 ssd, Momentus hybrid 500gb hd.

Im thinking about a new 13" retina, but will it be much better than my tricked out mbp?

I use Logic Pro X, demanding plugins and Xcode

2. iPad Air macrumors regular

The only reason I would upgrade is for the Retina Display. The SSD you installed was a big deal. I'm sure you got a great performance boost from that. 16 gigs of RAM...thats really good. It would be hard to justify the rMBP from a performance standpoint in my opinion.

3. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, i thought so.

Is there a way of fitting a retina screen to my mbp? I would guess that would be to costly and most likely not possible?

I still have two years warranty on the mbp, so maybe i will just hold onto it for a while longer.

4. iPad Air macrumors regular

Yep, that sounds like a great idea. I still have my 13" MacBook Pro Early-2011, still powerful for my needs and works very well. Apple built these to last for sure.

5. Mr. Wonderful macrumors 6502a

Basically. Haswell's a 5-20% (ish ish ish, in the absolute best case scenarios) performance improvement over 2012's Ivy Bridge MacBooks, at the same clock speed.

6. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I have to agree with my fellow upstate South Carolinian. You've got a really good setup. I bought a refurbished mid-2012 rMBP a few weeks ago and the improvement over the poor Lenovo ThinkPad screen I've had is incredible.

The retina on the new MBP's will be an improvement over what you have now, but I suspect not nearly as much as what I experienced. If what you have is serving you well, I would stay with it for a couple more years.

7. Mac.User macrumors 6502

the only upgrades to you would be faster SSD (you probably wouldn't notice), faster Intel GPU, and retina display.

To me the cost would not justify it for you. Just wait for a while more, maybe till teh next revision, then it will probably be worth it to you depending on your needs then.

8. noobfromdk macrumors newbie

My Early 2011 MBP 13" specs higher on Geekbench than the maxed out 13" Retina MBP. Mine has upgrades though, 16 gig ram, SSD ect.

9. logicpro7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes the modded mbp iis plenty fast for what i need. Pretty quick too and start up is about 5 or 6 seconds.

I do have a 27" Cinema Display, that i use on it, so its not all that bad.

It was tempting though :D