how much better will the monetiva macbooks be?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bedrock22, Apr 3, 2008.

1. bedrock22 macrumors member

I've been in the macbook pro market for some time now, and with the upgrade to penryns I've been tempted to buy one. but there are rumors floating around that the monetivas are due to come June-ish, and the penryn is just a cleansing cycle for Intel.

How likely are the monetivas to introduce a MUCH more improved macbook pro? I've heard from someone that the intel processors are inherently flawed because of certain changes in the chip architecture from older PPC architecture... many of the old PPC procs never really hanged on anything, no matter how many apps you had open it never locked up on you, everything remained relatively smooth -- where the intels tend to lock and lag when you start getting into processor intense applications. I'm told this may be fixed with the monetiva updates.

I'm not really looking at getting the absolute best, and if I buy a penryn now, I'm not likely to care how cool the monetiva update will be.... but if anyone can confirm that the monetivas may or may not introduce chipset architecture improvements, or even something like LED displays across the board... I might just stick it out.

Also, how likely is it that apple would adopt as soon as intel releases the monetivas? if intel released them in june, would apple update immediately? Or am I looking at q4 2008 before we see monetiva macbooks.

thanks for the help
    chris

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm not sure about the performance aspect but there is a good chance LEDs will come with Montevina.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

They'll make you pee your pants.
    Honestly, don't do this to yourself they'll not likely be updated in June and if they do will you then be curious at how much better the next chip will be and wonder if you should wait? And then you'll think, if you wait just a bit longer.... blah blah blah

The point is, is that eventually everything goes out of date. Everything.
    Even my B/W G3/400 that I bought I 1999, though I swore it impossible at the time.

4. DJJONES macrumors 6502

i dont think they will update it. you never know apple maybe purchased a ton of pernryn to last until the chips after montevina. if apple were to update to mbp to montevina it would piss a ton of people off damn sure of that.

i think wwcd or what ever its named lol will introduce other products like a new 3g iphone imac or mini mac mac mini micor whatever loll or a new ACD everyones been bitching about. higly doubt montevina in june or july.

i would of never bought a macbook pro if they didnt update it to penryn and add the larger hd just because of the fact that most other laptop manufactures were offering more for less dough. but now right now i think apple has one of the fastest and feature loaded laptop out right now. deffinietly the best looking also.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I know forsure they will update somtime this early summer but most likely late summer because Apple will have to keep up with what intel has to offer and would actually cost them more money to get older hardware from intel as to not updating the mbp and to keep up with other competitions.

You have to remember Apple is not a company like it was 3-4 years ago with only the g4/g5 cpus and only updated once in a couple years for higher clock.

I cant wait to see how much faster the montevina will be as to the current mbps. With a higher frontside bus and higher clocked RAM I'm sure it will be a noticably faster mbp. And curious to know what type of gpu it will have and maybe a 256-bit bandwidth gpu at that.

As for me I just sold my SR mbp for the 17" hi res model just because I wanted a 17" screen with a hi res LED. But I have no regrets and will not upgrade once the montevina or even nehalem is out. The 45nm + led is what I love and the trackpad gesture as a throw in. But I guess if you can wait, I'd suggest waiting for montevina if its your only computing machine.

6. PDE macrumors 68020

And even if they are updated in June, they're going to have typical rev A problems. Just look at the current MBPs - they're basically a continuation of the aluminum powerbook G4s and have thus been around forever. Yet Apple still hasn't got it right with major things like the LCDs. To be fair, I think these latest penryn are among the best/most refined laptops Apple has made, but there are still issues that really should have been resolved a long time ago. The first revision of any product is going to have more issues and if you don't like being without your computer while it's in for repair, I'd recommend staying away from it.

A smart principle to follow is to get the last revision of any model - that way you get the most mature product around, even if you don't get the latest and coolest. Just my opinion.

7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If you consider in rev. A stuff the next update montevina is not a rev A as it will be a rev B. The current mbp "penryn" are the rev. A right now. As the previous gen SR platform (supposedly the santa rosa platform with the same chipset as the santa rosa just without the intel wifi) is a "merom" and "montevina" is just the rev. B platform of the "Penryn." ;)

If anything the montevina platform is the upgraded a more complete version of the current penryn with more features such as SSE4.2 as to the current penryn with SSE4.1 just 7 more instruction sets and much higher front side bus with higher clocked RAM (and I'm wondering if its able to go higher than 4gb to 6gb RAM) and with all those new features I think a newer and faster gpu is in order with possibly a 256-bit wide bandwidth gpu.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

I was thinking more of a new external design that will force a complete redesign of the internals too. If there is no new case design, I'd go ahead and purchase. I was talking about a new laptop like the titanium G4s and aluminum powerbook G4s were....

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I honestly have no idea if Apple will redesign the case.. but IMHO I think they will keep it the way it is. But that 1066mhz front side bus is very tempting on a laptop... as to today's 800mhz.. and if you know about technical specs.. a higher frontside bus can get alot more memory through overall and I wouldnt be surprised if the "montevina" platformed mbps will have a 40-50% increase in speed and 100% increase in the gpu area as well.

Because ever since the Santa Rosa platform "merom," the mbp only had small incremental upgrade that made almost no difference and its about time for the noticable upgrade to come as alot of people call it the "tock" part of the upgrade as to the "tick."