How much better would Sony headphones be?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Jun 18, 2010.

1. BurningJah macrumors regular

I never heard of nexxtech! and I don't think you can really compare these two headphones!
    the sony is more for the audiophile in us!
    I say buy the sony if you got the 99$ to spare!

SO the sony will be so much better than the nexxtech!! sony.com describes this set als the extra bass & dj model!
    just buy the sony!

2. mrbrightside623 macrumors regular

I've tested the Sony's in store before and the ear cushion is VERY VERY soft. It does have a lot of bass if that is something you like. Overall I think the Sony would be best. I never heard of the other brand. But I recall the cost of the Sony here in the States around $50-60 USD. I'm assuming the price on that site is not from the US?
    Hope this helps.

-Tony

3. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I wouldn't say that just because they're Sony headphones means they're going to be better. I haven't tried either of them out, but just because it's a brand no one's ever heard of doesn't mean they're going to be really bad.

4. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

If you've got $99 to spend, there are a multitude of (better, IMO) options. Go check out a site like headfi and do some research, there's plenty of best-of in various price ranges that highlight strengths and weaknesses.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Honestly, at that price I'd go with the studio standard Sony MDR-7506's. They're about as accurate (flat) as you're going to find, you can color the sound anyway you like with an EQ, they can handle very high volume levels without distortion, low impedance means you can listen to portable audio sources with no volume loss and you can buy each part and fix it yourself if something breaks (it's the Wrangler of headphones). I've been using mine for at least 5 years now and love them.

6. autumnmike macrumors member

Best 100 headphone is the Grado SR-80. Do yourself a favor. They're open port, so everybody will hear you when its cranked. But the audio fidelity is the best value on the market. I've been rocking grado for 2 years now and haven't run into any problems with the open port-ness of it. I've flown and taken the bus, and have found that if you keep the volume reasonable, you're not bothering anyone. The loudness of public places such as planes is going to cancel out any noise your cans make.

Put it this way, they're are very few things I own that have a higher customer satisfaction from its users.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

You can find decent headphones at $100. Remember sound is 100% subjective. Unless you are listening at home and with an amp, the Grados aren't really the best choice for a lot of flaws. I also find them to be terribly uncomfortable. That being said, I've spent thousands on Grados and when done right, they sound amazing - but for most it's not practical overkill.