How much can an old-er Mac Pro be purchased for?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by silbeej, Jan 13, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

With the launch of the brand new Mac Pro's, how much do you all think that the last gen dual 2.66 system would go for, and what would be my best bet for picking one up?

2. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I'm curious as well. I'll probably need to buy a workstation in a year or so to sort around 100000~150000 pictures, and will need a new computer.
    I think a mid level old Mac Pro or low level new Mac Pro will be alright, with lots of RAM... How much can I expect them to cost in a year? Quad Core will be enough, with a good Video card and 8Gigs of RAM, I think.

3. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

I'm watching a couple of auctions on ebay right now and the standard old pro (2.66, gig of ram) is not even selling for less than $1800. Setups with 4 gigs of ram plus the 1900xt video card went for $2200 with apple care.

4. timestamp macrumors 6502

People on eBay are pretty stupid. I would say it is a good time to be selling an old Mac Pro as you will get a ton of your money back. Heck, shock them with a new faster Mac Pro that has never been seen and you will probably get more than its worth :eek:

5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Monitor completed auctions on ebay to gauge an idea of what others are willing to pay, then hope you can get a lower price be being in the right place at the right time if you aren't willing to pay that.

People are paying over $2000 at the moment for base specs, maybe another gb of memory and sometimes larger hard drives.

6. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

yeah i'm hoping the price will keep going down because the older mac pro will be a great upgrade for my mac mini at work. I'm hoping to get the new mac pro for home so i can game and code.