How much can I get for a 4S ATT Black perfect condition?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kapalua12, Jul 15, 2014.

1. kapalua12 macrumors 6502

How much is an ATT black iPhone 4S worth now?

Where is the best place to sell? It's 32 GB and Pristine condition, original box, packing, accessories.

----------

Also, since it previously was contracted with ATT up until a year ago, do I need to do anything like ask ATT to unlock it somehow? I don't know how this process works.

I of course know the password, etc so I can reset it to new condition. Is that all I need to do to the 4S to safely sell it without it being a problem for the purchaser and without revealing my iCloud account info, PW, etc?

2. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

You can probably get A LOT more if its running iOS 6 or earlier. Do you have the original box, charging cable, earbuds? All of those will factor in the price you will get.

I recommend swappa. Avoid eBay and craigslist.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

You can also get more if it is factory unlocked. Go to this AT&T site to request. Usually takes about 24 hours. I would also recommend selling on Swappa.

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/termsAndCondition

4. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

You actually won't get much more for it being unlocked, I do reccommend you get it unlocked though. Most iPhones for sale are now being unlocked so it's becoming more common, you will however be more likely to sell if the device is unlocked.

I use craigslist to buy nearly all of my electronics. (Everything in my signature was bought through craigslist) if you use craigslist just do it safely; cash only, pubic place, during the day, safe area.

5. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the original everything. What can I expect as a good price if I'm lucky?
    I have a motivated buyer.

Under: About ->Version , it says 6.1.3
    Does that refer to IOS 6?

6. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Probably around $200 to $260. I just purchased a used 64gb one from Amazon with original box and all unused accessories in excellent near mint condition for $200.

7. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Well considering you never upgraded it to the HORRIBLE iOS 7; I have more respect for you lol. :)

You'll get a pretty penny for it now.

8. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

So…how much should I ask for it to try and get the maximum I can out of the deal?

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

I'd think the most would probably be $300. Unfortunately, the iPhone 4S isn't in demand anymore.

10. Pitmaster macrumors member

No he won't. And you'll have to upgrade to something past 6 eventually.

11. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Eventually, but that's NOT what we're talking about here. And yes, some people will pay more simply because the device has iOS 6. I know I would.

12. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

iOS 6 is approaching two years of age; the only devices that stopped at iOS 6 were the iPhone 3GS and iPod Touch 4th generation. I wouldn't imagine the average app developer wanting to support it for much longer especially after iOS 8 goes public.

13. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Fine. But that still doesn't mean someone out there wouldn't be willing to pay more because the device has older firmware.

If I was looking for an iPhone 4S, I know I would look for one that has iOS 6. And I know for a FACT most apps still work flawlessly on iOS 6. My iPad 3 still has 6 on it, and all the apps work fine. Its not like they're all going to stop working on the same date and time.

Nobody on this site will convince me iOS 7 is superior to iOS 6. I will use 6 for as long as I can.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Unfortunately, that's not how it works in practice. I purposely kept my iPhone 5 on iOS 6 when I sold it because I thought it would fetch a higher price (when there were more iOS 7 haters back then). Didn't even make a dent as it sold for the average going price at the time.

15. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Buying everything on craigslist is very bold. I used to do the same until iCloud lock and phones getting black listed happened.

16. kapalua12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok guys,

So what is a good asking price?

I already have a 64 GB 5S Gold so no problem there.

17. 617aircav Suspended

18. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

That's why you activate the phone before you buy it, and if the person isn't ok with that, you shouldn't be buying from them!

$150 is a good price for the phone you could try listing at $175 or $200 but $150 is a good selling price

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Tell that to this guy.

20. JackieInCo Suspended

I sold a 16GB unlocked 4S in December for $300 to a guy taking it back to India. I packaged it with everything unopened such as the headset and USB cord. I had a collection if those from past iPhones that I sold but sold only the phone.

21. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

No. I don't believe that. If someone has an iPhone 4S with older firmware on it, it may be worth more to someone else. iOS 7 being out almost a year has absolutely nothing to do it.

22. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Well, I listed it twice (the first buyer backed out) and it sold for the average going price both times so obviously nobody paid more for it.

23. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Are you serious? It can get shut off at any time if the other party stops making payments on their plan. This could be 10 years down the road. Granted that a ridiculous amount of time to have a phone but still is true nonetheless