Price Advice How much can I get for my MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Windows, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Windows macrumors member

Windows

Hey
    So lately I've been wanting to sell my MBP and with the money I make I would get a MBA plus some accesories.

Anyway, I'm wondering how much I can get for my used MBP, it doesn't have any dents, 1 or 2 minimal scratches (it's had a carbon fiber skin since the day I got it). The keyboard and screen are pretty dirty but I plan on sending it in to a repair center where they clean the computer to a "refurbished" state.

It is an almost maxed out MBP early 2011 edition (I'm not sure if the MBP's have been updated since).

Specs:
    Thunderbolt Port
    8 gb RAM 1333 MHz DDr3
    2.7 Ghz Intel Core i7 Processor
    Hitachi 500 GB Drive
    All of these are stock from Apple

Anyway, how much do you guys think I can get out of this baby?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If you have the box, etc., probably $1100 - $1200. Apple has refurbished ones for $1189, albeit with 4 GB RAM, though RAM is very inexpensive (like $30-50 for 8 GB).

3. Windows thread starter macrumors member

Windows

I don't see any i7 MBP's on the refurbished list :confused:

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Apparently sold out at the moment, but your machine refurbished is $1189.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yeah Apple spec bumped the Feb 2011 MBPs about a month ago. While it wasn't much of a spec bump on the 13" MBP (only 100 mhz), it still means you have the "old" model.

As stated, these can be had refurbished for less than 1200 which I would say is probably the high end of what you will get for your MBP. I myself would rather buy a Refurbished unit with full 1 year warranty, impeccable case, and brand new battery than a used one. I wouldn't pay more than $1000 for yours (that's just me though). In fact, I tend to notice that only the base models tend to retain their value. The spec bumped models tend to quickly lose a lot of value and end up going for the same (or not much more) as the lower spec'd models. I.e. The Upgraded 13" quickly goes for roughly the same price as the Base 13". At least this is my experience around here. Joe Average doesn't care about 400mhz (difference between the low end and the high end models). He cares about saving a couple hundred bucks though.

6. Windows thread starter macrumors member

Windows

Crap, I was hoping for 1300 or close... that kinda sucks but whatever, I guess it's the price you pay.

Does anyone know the best place to get the cheapest ThunderBolt Display?

@paulrbeers
    Thanks, I'll see i I can get 1200 with the accesories I have on it (skin, Sfbag sleeve)

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Macmall.com has it for $970
    macconnection.com has it for $959
    amazon.com has it for $989

Not a lot off at any of those, but some.....

8. Windows thread starter macrumors member

Windows

Found a site that sells them for 920$, and they have excellent reviews.
    Thanks for all the help guys!:D

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

You could certainly list it for $1300 and take $1200 for it.

You might also ask yourself why you want to switch to an Air - you're losing 4 GB of RAM, a lot of processing power, and a lot of expandability.

10. Windows thread starter macrumors member

Windows

I'm making the switch mostly because I don't need all the processing power and expandability of the MBP. Plus I'd enjoy carrying around less weight.

Thanks for the help

11. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Makes perfect sense!

All the best with your sale! And hope it does help.

:)

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I also think that $1000 is more realistic for the MBP. Including the accessories you can surely try to get $1200.

It's a relatively new machine, so taking 10%-20% off the refurbished price is realistic. the 8 GB ram is a nice add, but it doesn't increase the price by the $200 you paid for it. $1000 is realistic, $1100 possible if you are lucky. It's a good deal for someone who wants a powerful 13'' model without paying the big premium that apple puts on those models.

13. phillytim macrumors 6502a

phillytim

You guys are WAY over-valuating that MacBook. If it's going for $1189 Apple-refurbished, but yet Windows' MacBook is NOT Apple-refurbished, then I'd expect the most he should be asking for it is $899 tops.

Let us not forget with the sale on these things (such as the past weekend) you could get a BRAND NEW, NEWER version for $1049 with bumped-up specs at Best Buy, Amazon, Apple and others!

Sorry, but there's a price to pay for something used by we dirty peons and NOT returned to a pristine state by Apple itself! Just the way it is.

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Reality is calling . . .

If you check eBay's completed listings, you'll see that $1100-1200 is about right. It has a RAM upgrade to 8 GB, and if Windows has it cleaned and has the box, etc., $899 is laughably low.

The new version that you speak of (which is what I own, btw), is a slower i5. The correct comparison would be to the new 2.8 GHz i7, which is $1499 list and more likely $1399 with student/govt/whatever discount. So the question becomes how much of a price difference is there for a larger hard drive, ever-so-slightly faster CPU, and less RAM for the new model vs. Windows machine.