How much can i get ipod touch for in us stores?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by gelatin, Dec 3, 2007.

1. gelatin macrumors 6502

im going to new york soon and thought id get a touch cos the weak dollar and its already cheaper there.
    i wanted to know a few things.
    firstly how cheap could i get a 16gb one for?
    im currently on os10.3 and i see the sys requirements are 10.4, is there anyway to get around this?
    and finally what are the best hacks/apps and does the ipod touch have firmware upgrades all the time to block these like with the PSP?

thanks

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

A 16GB iPod Touch is $399.99 USD at any Apple Store. State and local sales tax will be added to that, so you can look to pay up to $437.99, depending on where in New York you are going.

Apple does update the firmware to block third party applications, but so far it has proven easy for hackers to Jailbreak and install programs.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

$399 is basically as cheap as you'll find the 16 GB.

As far as I know, you need 10.4 (there's no way to circumvent that).

At this point, you can hack the Touch, but there have been a few updates that can cause you problems. I believe Apple has stated that they will neither purposefully break, nor design around hacks.

4. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the speedy answers guys.
    so what kinda apps can be added then,any kinda games?

5. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

You can migrate iPhone apps over (Mail, Calendar, Stocks, Google Maps, Weather, etc) and add tons of third party applications. ApolloIM (IM client), gpsPhone (GBA Emulator) and many others.

6. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

There's really not a difference in price anywhere you go. You might as well get it from an Apple Store.

8. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Where are you traveling to?

9. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Manhattan sales tax is 8.375% so expect to pay $434.99 USD (296.87 EUR, 210.81 GBP)

11. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm so a saving of about £60 here
    thats not bad

12. isshou macrumors member

isshou

Unless you are going to stay a couple weeks, I rather pay a bit extra and have the option to swap it by another one, should it come with any problem.

On the other hand, if you buy it in Europe, you get a 2 years warranty as per EU Directive on Consumer's Rights while, as far as I know, in the USA you only get 1 year warranty.

So, in my opinion, not such a big deal, further more if you think it is more likely you will be starting to get problems with your battery after the first year.

But any way, you can always take the risk and have a few pints of beer on the £60. ;)

13. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

why are there known problems with the battery?
    im only staying 4 days :(

14. isshou macrumors member

isshou

Of course not!.

Perhaps I did not explain myself properly. Lets see if I am luckier this time.

What I said is "it is more likely you will be starting to get problems with your battery after the first year. "

Not because there is any problem with the batteries, but because as many things in life, batteries have a life cycle and after a number of charges they should be replaced as they don't hold the charge any longer. Hence it is more likely you will be close to the -end of life cycle- after a year than during the, lets say, 9 first moth after the device is bought.

Well, I hope it is clear why is more convenient to have a 2 year warranty instead of just 1 year, in fact you can get a warranty extension from Apple at an extra charge.

regards,
    Ro

15. dcv macrumors G3

I picked mine up at the 5th Ave Apple Store a couple of months ago. At the time I think it worked out around £215 or so including taxes etc.

Alternatively you could try Dixons tax-free at the airport for £228.94

16. till macrumors member

I hope you're not spending your own money to stay in Manhattan. If you are, then worrying about saving $100 or so is...uh...

17. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

so at the end of the warranty i can just change it even if its got nothing wrong? does that apply to ibooks as well? i could do with a new one

im going with uni on a trip

18. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

I'd get it at the flagship apple store on 5th avenue, near the south east corner of central park, just because it's a really unique store. that's the 24 hour underground store with the giant glass cube on street level.

there are probably a lot of other random places throughout the city you could also get it. the price will be the same everywhere - apple keeps a pretty tight grip on pricing and they are never really available for less than $399 (16gb) anywhere.

have fun in nyc - it's a great city!

19. Minh macrumors newbie

I got my 16 GB iPod Touch on eBay for exactly $359.95 (free shipping), it was factory sealed and the iPod has no defects whatsoever (no dead pixels, uneven backlighting during movie playback, etc.)

And it's a week 41 iPod btw.