How much chaos is involved at an Apple store on launch day?

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
What I mean is... if I pre-order online and choose in-store pickup, how long should I expect the process to take? Will I have to wait in line for hours, or do I have to make an appointment for pickup, or do I just show up and be in and out in maybe 10-20 minutes?

Normally I stay far far away and just do shipping. But this time I’d like to go pick it up kinda early in the morning, since I’m going out of town in the afternoon and don’t want to worry about what time FedEx or UPS will show up.

Just wondering what other people have experienced in the past.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
It’s a zoo. The wait times are ridiculous. If you aren’t within the first 10 I wouldn’t bother.

Also, it’s november, so it’s going to be cold as hell if you are waiting outside in most states.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
It’s a zoo. The wait times are ridiculous. If you aren’t within the first 10 I wouldn’t bother.

Also, it’s november, so it’s going to be cold as hell if you are waiting outside in most states.
I’m not talking about waiting in line to buy one. I’m not gonna go early and wait in line for hours. I’m talking about picking up an online pre-order, using the in-store pickup option.

SR42

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
I’m not talking about waiting in line to buy one. I’m not gonna go early and wait in line for hours. I’m talking about picking up an online pre-order, using the in-store pickup option.
Same thing, there is usually a line for those who ordered for in store pick up. People for that line start arriving around 6am, IME.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Same thing, there is usually a line for those who ordered for in store pick up. People for that line start arriving around 6am, IME.
I mean what if I show up around 9 or 10 though? I’m sure they’re not going to sell my phone, and it will still be on hold for me. Just wondering if that’d be more of an in-and-out scenario.

SR42

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2016
I mean what if I show up around 9 or 10 though? I’m sure they’re not going to sell my phone, and it will still be on hold for me. Just wondering if that’d be more of an in-and-out scenario.
I've personally never done it before so not sure how quickly that line moves. Its not the issue of them selling your phone, you'll probably just be waiting in line for a while as they'll probably be pretty busy all morning.
Is having UPS or Fedex hold it for pick up Friday morning not a good option? I know people have done this in the past on launch days but apple might restrict them sometimes.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68020
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
What I mean is... if I pre-order online and choose in-store pickup, how long should I expect the process to take? Will I have to wait in line for hours, or do I have to make an appointment for pickup, or do I just show up and be in and out in maybe 10-20 minutes?

Normally I stay far far away and just do shipping. But this time I’d like to go pick it up kinda early in the morning, since I’m going out of town in the afternoon and don’t want to worry about what time FedEx or UPS will show up.

You don't have to wait in line if you choose in-store pickup. That phone is already reserved for you. They have no purpose for you to wait 30minutes in line.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I would just stay away from Apple Stores on launch day. Just ship the phone to your home. I got my 6S+ a week after launch and still had to wait in line for a while to pick it up at the store. And when I say ‘wait in line’ I mean the reserve it online and pick it up at the store line.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I did this for the iPhone 8 Plus. My pickup time was 11:30-12:00. I got there around 11:15 and was out of there at about 11:35. The store usually has a separate line for pickups.

Disclaimer: This is intended as a serious reply. Thank you.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I did this for the iPhone 8 Plus. My pickup time was 11:30-12:00. I got there around 11:15 and was out of there at about 11:35. The store usually has a separate line for pickups.
Understood but the 8/8+ were not in huge demand like the iPhone X is going to be. I would expect full-on chaos at Apple stores on 11/3. There are only so many employees to go around.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Understood but the 8/8+ were not in huge demand like the iPhone X is going to be. I would expect full-on chaos at Apple stores on 11/3. There are only so many employees to go around.
And they'll still have a separate line for pickups. No one here has any experience with launch day for the iPhone X. We can only extrapolate from previous launches.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
And they'll still have a separate line for pickups. No one here has any experience with launch day for the iPhone X. We can only extrapolate from previous launches.
And you’re going to have a lot of people reserving their phones for pickup in addition to the people lining up overnight for a phone. There’s only so many Apple Store employees to go around. I would highly recommend having the phone delivered to your home on 11/3 and stay away from the Apple Store on launch day.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
I've personally never done it before so not sure how quickly that line moves. Its not the issue of them selling your phone, you'll probably just be waiting in line for a while as they'll probably be pretty busy all morning.
Is having UPS or Fedex hold it for pick up Friday morning not a good option? I know people have done this in the past on launch days but apple might restrict them sometimes.
That is definitely a good option and I’ve done it before. But the Apple store is a shorter drive than FedEx (who always ships mine), haha. So just trying to save some time if store pickups aren’t too bad.

RodDavies

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
Did exactly this last year for my 7Plus.

Picked instore pick up for 1200 noon on release day. Wandered in at 1150. spoke to dude with is iPad. He looked me up, directed me to a desk, waited 5 minutes. At 1200 noon girl wandered over with my phone, unpacked it, whacked in my SIM from the iPhone6 Plus, turned it on, and I walked out. Took me 20 minutes all up.

Reactions: DDustiNN

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011

That’s the kind of info I was looking for.

So you do have to set up a pickup time? Do you choose this during the pre-order, or later in the week when they start processing the orders?
[doublepost=1508993689][/doublepost]
Did exactly this last year for my 7Plus.

Picked instore pick up for 1200 noon on release day. Wandered in at 1150. spoke to dude with is iPad. He looked me up, directed me to a desk, waited 5 minutes. At 1200 noon girl wandered over with my phone, unpacked it, whacked in my SIM from the iPhone6 Plus, turned it on, and I walked out. Took me 20 minutes all up.
Perfect. Thank you. As I asked the poster above, do you choose the time during the pre-order process, or later on a different day?

RodDavies

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
That’s the kind of info I was looking for.

So you do have to set up a pickup time? Do you choose this during the pre-order, or later in the week when they start processing the orders?
[doublepost=1508993689][/doublepost]
Perfect. Thank you. As I asked the poster above, do you choose the time during the pre-order process, or later on a different day?
I chose it in the App during the order process. Good luck!

HM Apple

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Store pickup varies by location and most have 2 lines; one for the campers and scalpers and another for the preorders which are sold. The preorder line for pickup is usually much shorter and moves quickly. I prefer to go the store pickup because it lets you chose store setup for the phone before you leave the store. And I hate the wait for the Fed Ex or UPS trucks on launch day with their large loads with signature required.

Reactions: DDustiNN

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
And you’re going to have a lot of people reserving their phones for pickup in addition to the people lining up overnight for a phone. There’s only so many Apple Store employees to go around. I would highly recommend having the phone delivered to your home on 11/3 and stay away from the Apple Store on launch day.
I never implied that I was going to pick up the X at the store. I plan to have it held at my nearby UPS hub for pickup on launch day.

[doublepost=1508995001][/doublepost]
You choose it during the preorder. Very simple. Another poster had a valid point, though. The X launch day might be far more hectic than the 8/8 Plus launch day. Just keep that in mind.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
Telling us where you live would be helpful. The lines at the 5th Ave store in NYC are gonna be slightly longer than East Jabip, Kansas.

Reactions: TravisPNW

DDustiNN

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Telling us where you live would be helpful. The lines at the 5th Ave store in NYC are gonna be slightly longer than East Jabip, Kansas.
Definitely not a huge flagship store like that, haha. It’s in a mall in Michigan.

SHKLMRE

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2013
Pennsylvania

My experienced with reserving in store has always been great! I always get to the store at like 7am, just to gather the atmosphere and hang out a bit, and I’m usually out by 8:10am at the latest.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I would just stay away from Apple Stores on launch day. Just ship the phone to your home. I got my 6S+ a week after launch and still had to wait in line for a while to pick it up at the store. And when I say ‘wait in line’ I mean the reserve it online and pick it up at the store line.
I wouldn't mind going to an Apple store to pick up my iPhone, this is one iPhone I would rather have specifically shipped to my residence. And the nice thing about my delivery carrier, is they deliver relatively early in the day, so I can still have it quicker over my Apple Store.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Mikeeee

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2017
I did a store pickup for the iPhone 6. There were 2 lines. The line for reserved pickups moved fast and I was out of there within 30 minutes. Actually I enjoyed the experience. The buzz and enthusiasm was fun to be around. I’d do it again.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I wouldn't mind going to an Apple store to pick up my iPhone, this is one iPhone I would rather have specifically shipped to my residence. And the nice thing about my delivery carrier, is they deliver relatively early in the day, so I can still have it quicker over my Apple Store.
I've had my last couple of iPhones held at my UPS hub on launch day. That's worked pretty well for me, since there's no telling what time of day the UPS truck will get to my house.