How much control can a user have through preferences?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by newDeveloper, Jun 13, 2010.

1. newDeveloper macrumors newbie

I understand that you can expose user settings to an iPhone user such that they can select the "colors" or "theme" of the application and by that setting, the application "updates" itself based on that user preference.

How far can you go with this? Can you allow a user to actually select the default.png or icon.png image from a group so that the actual springboard icon image is now modified based on their selection?

So let's say I have a program that prompts the user to select which gym they work out in once they open the application - location a on the east side of town or location b on the west side. If they choose location b, I modify the color scheme of the application, but I also want to use location b's own colors/image on the springboard...I would prefer not to stick with a generic image to satisfy all gym owners, if you get my point.

Possible?

Thanks,

2. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Default and Icon files are not user-selectable options. Only 1 of each file can be part of the bundle and cannot change.

3. newDeveloper thread starter macrumors newbie

That is disappointing, IMO. Imagine how a software company could sell one solution to 1000 similar shops and the user controls the store front. It's better than creating 1000 individual apps.

4. newDeveloper thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that you can use certain programs to turn .XIB files into objective-c syntax and I know that can expose greater control over the user design than IB actually allows for natively.

I thought maybe that effort would expose the property for setting the icon / default.png for the application springboard and I was going to try and replace it with a variable.

It was worth a shot.

5. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha newDeveloper,

Look in the Resources section of your project in Xcode. You'll see a plist file with Info in the title. When you click on the filename, you'll a key named Icon File, the value of which contains the name of your application's icon file (the one on the Springboard). There is no entry for the Default.png image - you simply have to create an image named Default.png (the name is case-sensitive). Default.png is presented immediately after the user presses the app's icon and before the first view controller for the app is presented.

6. newDeveloper thread starter macrumors newbie

Aloha to you as well,

I do remember that now, that default is used differently.

What I was hoping to do is create 1 application from a support perspective but allow users to set preferences that chooses which store.

After they choose, I want to customize as much as possible about that app specific to that store. 1 app can support unlimited stores, that is what I want to do.

Thanks!