How Much Cooler are SSDs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yimbie, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Yimbie macrumors member

I am debating whether to get an HDD or SSD. I was wondering for you people that made the upgrade... how much cooler is the SSD vs. the HDD? I do know that the Macbook Pros can get hot, so if it can run noticeably cooler, that would be great.

I am going to be storing a lot of photos and videos, so capacity is important to me. That's one of the biggest selling points for me to purchase just a faster HDD. If I have to though, I'll buy a lower capacity SSD and a Firewire 800 external HDD.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I'd just go with a 7200 RPM HDD. The HDD really isn't the main source of heat in the MBP. In my computer (which has the same body as the 13" MBP), my 7200 RPM HDD is running at 100F (38 for the Celsius people), and it stays there pretty much all the time. Whereas my CPU is at about 130F (56C), under normal useage, and the GPU is slightly warmer. You really don't notice the heat from the HDD, so I wouldn't worry about that.

3. J hit&runner macrumors newbie

SSDs ARE SOOOO FREAKIN COOOOL!!!!!

o wait... you're talking about the temperature....:p

4. DKatri macrumors 6502

5. demonsavatar macrumors regular

Exactly. Heat from the Hard drive is not noticeable. I have an SSD but the laptop is still BURNING hot when I'm doing something CPU intensive...

6. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

For comparison, my i5 battery is hotter when its charing than the SSD. I never even noticed any heat from my SSD, even when playing games or copying large files.

7. Anshi macrumors newbie

Go for the Seagate Momentus XT

I want to share with you my views about the heat.

Heat is mostly generated by the CPU and some other components on the logic board. Its GOING to warm up when you do CPU intensive tasks whether you use an SSD or HDD.

Also, you may want to know that the HDD is far away from these heat generating components, so it's a separate issue all together. And none of the HDD's or SSD's are going to get warm, let aside hot in day to day tasks and gaming when compared to the CPU.

Now, you need to store lots of data, so my advise is to get the Seagate Momentus XT which gets 500GB hard drive space with 4GB SSD. this is the fastest HDD and it a perfect choice for your requirements. its costs about 150$.

Hope this helps. Don't waste money on something that don't NEED.

Cheers!!!

8. JasonH42 macrumors 6502

HDDs have moving parts and definitely generate heat - the drives in my PC get HOT. After replacing the HDD in my MBP with a Crucial C300 SSD the temperature dropped such that I cannot hear the fans anymore. Less heat, less power consumption, more speed, best upgrade ever.