How much could I get trading in a $2300 Pro for the 2014 Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DevAndy, Jul 4, 2014.

1. DevAndy macrumors member

DevAndy

So the Pro is coming out in September/ October/ Nov. I need a Pro now but would much prefer to get the latest model seeing as it hasn't been updated for 250+ days.

How much could I trade in a 2013 model for the 2014 one? I know it varies, but an estimate would be fine.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

Thanks for the reply,

Could there be another model coming out early 2015?

I heard the Broadwell refresh could increase battery life from 7 to 9 hours, along with 90% better graphic performances.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Don't believe hype until you see tests. Also keep in mind depending on where you live, these things can hit a pretty sharp level of depreciation if things other than cpu improve. Depending on your country and configuration, you may be competing against Apple's refurbished site. Why do you need an update now? Trying to always be within the one year warranty? If so I usually take the risk, as in the US they'll typically offer flat rate repair out of warranty if the machine lacks any signs of damage or abuse.

5. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

I will be using the Pro for web development, multitasking with Photoshop/ 10 Chrome tabs at a time. I'll be carrying my Pro everywhere I go, using it for the majority of the day. So battery life is important, along with performance. I'm afraid of regretting $2300 on a Pro today, when it hasn't been updated for a while: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Retina_MacBook_Pro

This year has been the longest year yet.

Update: Gazelle quoted a flawless 15' i7 512GB/8GB at $1300. Looks like trade-ins are out of the question.

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Naturally, selling it will net you more.

My advice, wait until the time comes. When it is released, get your order in immediately. There will be a delay in price movements for older models, capitalize on that and list yours for something near the going right when you list it (eBay or Craigslist). List it when your new machine is a few days out.

No one can tell you what it will be worth in 3-4 months time. It is best to assess the market when the time comes. Create a great listing, with excellent photos and details and you will have no problem getting a decent amount back.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

This still doesn't indicate exactly what you own. Do you just feel short on memory? Photoshop can take up either a small amount or an enormous amount depending on document resolution, number of layers, types of layers, and application settings. If you set it too high, it starves the rest of your system causing degraded performance. Other than that you're trading in one machine for a new machine that will perform roughly the same as the old one. I'm not sure you could tell the difference without knowing which was which. The same thing will probably apply to the next one.

8. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

no point in upgrading ; your literally just wasting money for a marginal update(spec bump) and even if broadwell(which doesn't seem so until Q1-Q2 2015 ) does come out it is suppose to only bring 10-20% better performance ; might has well be happy and use your current pro ; i can run 10 tabs and use photoshop on my mid 2012 dual - core i7 2.9 ghz with 8 gbs of ram ; your current gen 15" won't be slowing down for a whillllllleee

----------

first of all battery life really depends on how intense your work will be so ; sure on paper it looks better to have 9 hrs of battery life :cool: ; but in reality if your using photoshop + chrome + high-brightness that will lower your battery life ; and no way in hell is it going to bring 90% better graphic performance ; the only way you could possible get 90% better graphic performance is if you build a PC and put a titan or HD 7990 in it ; thats the way your going to get 90% or more better graphic performance lol.

now if you really want a relatively big upgrade then wait for skylake which will be coming out Q3-Q4 2015 ; that should bring a good upgrade as its a whole new architecture compared to broadwell which is just a shrunken version of haswell

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You could get 90% out of something far less expensive than a Titan. People often underestimate the gap between notebook and desktop graphics. but the GPU has nothing to do with perceived performance here due to the OP only using it in a trivial manner.

10. DevAndy thread starter macrumors member

DevAndy

Thanks for the answers everyone, I really appreciate it.

I think I can wait until October rolls around, seeing as the Air is likely to get a retina display (main reason why I'm choosing the Pro over Air).

The spec bump is also a plus, and while the improvements are debatable, a lot of people are optimistic about the new trackpad patent as well as the Broadwell chips.

Surely, with so much hype over Broadwell, Apple wouldn't let us down, seeing as the last update of the Pro was 250 days ago (breaking the record)?