Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I say this only because I think when it comes to mobile phones we've hit the ceiling, how much more, other than a slightly bigger screen and better battery life, could the iPhone 4S hardware actually be improved upon? It's more down to software now more than anything...

The next step would be eliminating the need for a chunky brick and replace it with something that handles the processing and some sort of display, be it projected or in glasses etc and the ability to talk to the devices and it executes your command and dictates flawlessly. This would open up a whole new world of possibilities to those with poor eyesight or people with limited accessibility etc.

Thoughts?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
The next step would be eliminating the need for a chunky brick and replace it with something that handles the processing and some sort of display, be it projected or in glasses etc and the ability to talk to the devices and it executes your command and dictates flawlessly. This would open up a whole new world of possibilities to those with poor eyesight or people with limited accessibility etc.

the very next thing is NFC; but that less a revolution; more an implementation of stuff others have already. Still would like to see it in iOS.

A revolution is something we saw last year with a haptic screen allowing you to "feel" textures on the glass. depend on software this would allow a new dimension of user experience.
( not sure, was it this one ?)

Last edited:

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
Holograms ?
Flexible folding screen ?
Mental control of interface ?
Fuel cells ?

there are many major improvements that can be done on iphone 4s ...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I say this only because I think when it comes to mobile phones we've hit the ceiling, how much more, other than a slightly bigger screen and better battery life, could the iPhone 4S hardware actually be improved upon? It's more down to software now more than anything...

Thoughts?

i think everyone would agree that phones are peeking. The next step is getting LTE and quad core (dual core is plenty on a phone though) to play nicely and getting better battery life. At this point, it solely comes to to OS's b.c hardware wise it is becoming a wash.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I pretty much think a new Maps app and another row of icons would do it. :rolleyes:

The OP makes a good point though. How much further can you go? I just wish the fanboys would stop using words like 'revolutionize' when referring to these warmed over upgrades we've been getting.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I pretty much think a new Maps app and another row of icons would do it. :rolleyes:

The OP makes a good point though. How much further can you go? I just wish the fanboys would stop using words like 'revolutionize' when referring to these warmed over upgrades we've been getting.

but it is soooo "radical" :p, seriously though it is all about software today. I also am a little worried about the default maps in IOS...google maps w/ turn by turn is amazing!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
evolutionize

Smartphones have plateaued. It's little changes and tweaks for a while, I wouldn't expect 'revolutionary' for a few more years.

Which is probably why I still won't upgrade. 4 reached near enough to perfection IMO. Screen resolution. Size. Amazing 3D gaming. Fast, I pull 3-5mbps on ATT 3G.

Yea... LTE... a coworker's LTE iPad pulls 30mbps... but I don't see the value for anything I've used my phone for. If I was pirating movies via torrents, maybe... but I'm not.

Last edited:

Twixt

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2012
evolutionize

Smartphones have plateaued. It's little changes and tweaks for a while, I wouldn't expect 'revolutionary' for a few more years.

Which is probably why I still won't upgrade. 4 reached near enough to perfection IMO. Screen resolution. Size. Amazing 3D gaming. Fast, I pull 3-5mbps on ATT 3G.

Yea... LTE... a coworker's LTE iPad pulls 30mbps... but I don't see the value for anything I've used my phone for. If I was pirating movies via torrents, maybe... but I'm not.

Bottle neck using torrents protocol wouldnt be LTE throughput but number of seeders and upload links...

PerfectDB

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2012
Boston, Lincolnshire
I would love to see Apple combine the external antenna concept with iPad style tapered edges, along with a liquid metal unibody construction (and a larger screen of course).

I would consider such a design to be pretty revolutionary, but it seems to be a few years away unfortunately.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban

I want revolutionary in the same way the first iPhone was a revolution! Things seem to have stalled in the tech arena of late.

PS in iOS 6 there is turn by turn navigation using apples maps, I've been using it for a few weeks now and it works well, I've deleted my satnav apps now. Just with they did cycle routes :(

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I am ecstatic and so anxious for LTE

I never understood this craze for LTE.I get it its nice and fast, i certainly welcome it as the next step in celullar data technology.

But it wont change the way you do things in any way. Its just a speedbump.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
You can always go further, but it takes time and someone with a great idea. If Apple disappeared today the smartphone market would continue to advance (hardware wise) at the same pace it has been the last couple years. They got the ball rolling and companies (well, samsung) could continue to innovate at their current pace. But having the competition should eventually breed a killer new feature. It's just a matter of who gets there first.

In my opinion, the next "revolution" will be battery life. I would expect within five years time we may have batteries on our smartphones that can go on for days. I also expect we will see truly wireless/dockless charging when within a certain proximity to a base station. These things are coming for sure, it's just a matter of when. The tech is there but it's a matter of making it small and being able to mass produce it.

The screens could be better. I'd love to see a hybrid LCD/e-ink or something along those lines. The Audio has major room for improvement. And lets be honest, Apple hasn't even gotten the home button right yet- so clearly there is a thing or two they could do to at least make the user experience more pleasant even if it wasn't revolutionary.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I never understood this craze for LTE.I get it its nice and fast, i certainly welcome it as the next step in celullar data technology.

Yeah it's nice but I can live without it. I'm moving to straight talk so I would rather save $40+/month and be on hspa+ than pay a lot more and be on LTE.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
They could go balls to the walls somehow with the camera to challenge low end DSLRs. Even though the camera is already awesome. The camera won't have to be as good, but the better it gets, the less likely average people like myself will desire to buy a DSLR.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I think there's still some room for change. Remote display (like AirPlay but two-way) with Siri/Voice Commands wouldn't be impossible to attain in the next year or two - maybe with Bluetooth.

Keeping the "brick" in your pocket when on the move, and being able to read/reply to texts and emails on a wristwatch using Siri, all connected via Bluetooth, for example. Maybe when you get into your car, the display switches from wristwatch to in-dash touchscreen automatically. Phone stays in pocket the whole time. Yeah, that would be cool.

:)

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I think there's still some room for change. Remote display (like AirPlay but two-way) with Siri/Voice Commands wouldn't be impossible to attain in the next year or two - maybe with Bluetooth.

Keeping the "brick" in your pocket when on the move, and being able to read/reply to texts and emails on a wristwatch using Siri, all connected via Bluetooth, for example. Maybe when you get into your car, the display switches from wristwatch to in-dash touchscreen automatically. Phone stays in pocket the whole time. Yeah, that would be cool.

:)

I was really hoping they would do this with the iPod nano. the phone/watch connection is a really new market and I think it's going to take one of the big guys to execute it successfully. I'd love a "smartwatch" that syncs to my phone.

Also, in line with what you're saying- there is no reason why your phone couldn't simply also be your computer. It's in your pocket and it stays there, but when you go to your desk your monitor turns on and the phone syncs with the mouse and keyboard. You do your work, then when you walk away all your peripherals go to sleep. Not only that but the whole time you were at your desk your phone, mouse, and keyboard were all wirelessly charging.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Yeah it's nice but I can live without it. I'm moving to straight talk so I would rather save $40+/month and be on hspa+ than pay a lot more and be on LTE.

May do this as well.

LTE does have some advantages. Still not a necessity for me at this point. though.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

"just a speed bump" ? speed is very important and can increase a workflow greatly

like the iPhone 4 to 4S .. S for Speed and that speed is very noticeable

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
They could go balls to the walls somehow with the camera to challenge low end DSLRs. Even though the camera is already awesome. The camera won't have to be as good, but the better it gets, the less likely average people like myself will desire to buy a DSLR.

Uh, no, they can't. Can't, as in, not technologically possible. SLRs have little to do with the quality of their photos. SLR lenses, otoh...

I just want iOS with LTE. VZW's 3G is very slow, and it does impact how I can use the phone.

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Uh, no, they can't. Can't, as in, not technologically possible. SLRs have little to do with the quality of their photos. SLR lenses, otoh...

I just want iOS with LTE. VZW's 3G is very slow, and it does impact how I can use the phone.

AT&T 3G is killing me also. I agree w/ the impact. Can't wait for LTE.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Battery capacity is the single weak point of any smartphone today. You can bet money that smart people are trying to come up with something better.

And no, unlike incandescent lightbulbs, disposable lighters and chocolate chip cookies, smartphone development hasn't peaked or reached any ceiling. To suggest it has is easily as ridiculous as proposing that cars or LCD tv's have reached maturity.

BruceiD

macrumors member
May 1, 2012
Belgium
Well LTE is not a revolution, not even important.
Here in Belgium, people are very content with 3G (pretty much like anywhere else in Europe).
What would wow me is a screen with 1080p quality, 4K video, a brand new design (not just taller but a complete new), and what's probably the most important is making iOS more epic, that would be the most impressive in my opinion.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I was really hoping they would do this with the iPod nano. the phone/watch connection is a really new market and I think it's going to take one of the big guys to execute it successfully. I'd love a "smartwatch" that syncs to my phone.

Also, in line with what you're saying- there is no reason why your phone couldn't simply also be your computer. It's in your pocket and it stays there, but when you go to your desk your monitor turns on and the phone syncs with the mouse and keyboard. You do your work, then when you walk away all your peripherals go to sleep. Not only that but the whole time you were at your desk your phone, mouse, and keyboard were all wirelessly charging.

The Motorola Atrix kinda does that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.