How much could you sell an iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wfiphone, Apr 29, 2009.

1. wfiphone macrumors member

Im selling mine for the new one when its released

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

3. limesmoothie macrumors 6502

See how much they are currently going for on eBay, factor in that eBay will be flooded with people off loading their existing handset - you should arrive at a rough estimate.

4. khkman22 macrumors member

Need more info than that. 8GB or 16GB? How much warranty remaining? What is the condition it is in?

It seems used 8GB are going for about $400-$450 and 16GB for $500-$525 or so on average.

I just sold a 16GB refurbished one with a full year warranty for $535.

Some get more, but you have to wonder on the validity of the buyer, especially when their feedback is 0. I guess they are scamming and somehow trying to get people to ship the phone without paying. I had ebay cancel a bid from a user that just signed up yesterday (when auction ended) whose max bid was $1,000.

I would expect 16GB to go for maybe $400 and an 8GB for maybe $350 if you wait until the new one is in your hand before you get rid of it, but who knows what crazy things may happen one way or the other.

5. wfiphone thread starter macrumors member

OKAY HOLD THE *BEEP* UP!!!

Help me understand...I have a 16GB white iPhone in good condition...everything works perfectly. Just normal cosmetic use (light scratching on chrome etc)

I paid $300...HOW IN THE WORLD COULD I GET A PROFIT AND SELL FOR $500????

This truly is messing with my mind right now...please answer quickly...

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

no contract.....

7. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

You got it for the subsidized price from Apple/ATT. That's what they are going for at full retain price. People pay it because they cant/don't want to deal through ATT.

8. wfiphone thread starter macrumors member

But this doesn't make any sense.

I go buy an iPhone off ebay for $500. It's locked so I go to ATT and switch my old Razr to my iPhone I just bought...

WHAT'S IT MATTER NO CONTRACT OR NOT???

If it's locked I'll be with ATT forever until I switch phones...and I mean I'd plan on using my iPhone for a while anyway...

Please help me understand I'm seriously confused as heck...

9. khkman22 macrumors member

They are easily jailbroken and unlocked. Mine was jailbroken, but could only be unlocked with a Turbo Sim card since it was 2.2.1 and the bootloader version was 6.0. But it is still doable for someone to use it on T-Mobile using the Turbo Sim.

And for the record, I cleared about $290 after all fees and cost of the phone. Refurbished 16GB upgrade is only $149 now and with a year warranty, it's basically as good as new.

10. wfiphone thread starter macrumors member

Ok so let me see if I get got it right...

People may buy my 16GB white iPhone for $500 BECAUSE

1. there is no contract if they use ATT so they can upgrade anytime for free

2. they can unlock it if they want and use T-Mobile

is that it?

ALSO, if I sold my iPhone and wanted to upgrade to the next one would I bet breaking my 2 year contract with the 3G?

11. theDUB macrumors 6502a

theDUB

pretty much, yup.

EDIT. No, your contract is that you will pay them your monthly service fee for 2 years. it had nothing to do with what device you are using.

12. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Keep in mind, if you have a iPhone 3G and got it at a subsidized price (i.e $199 or $299), there's period of time (18-24 months) before you can replace it at a subsidized price.

So if you sell your 3G and go to buy a new one in June, you might find yourself paying much, much more (like $699) if AT&T decides you aren't yet eligible for a new phone on your plan.

13. wfiphone thread starter macrumors member

Ok...so I could just put the new iPhone that comes out on my current plan and they'd be cool with it?

14. wfiphone thread starter macrumors member

right but if I got 500 bucks for my 3G then it'll only be 200 :)