How much damage can you do in terminal? Expert needed.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jazzandmetal?, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Jazzandmetal? macrumors regular

I thought I had a trojan so I followed instructions to find it in terminal.

I typed sudo crontab -l and got warned that I got delete stuff that is important. I put my password in wrong and exited.

Then I did sudo cron -l and it this came up:

Last login: Mon Jun 9 12:50:01 on ttys000
    jeremy-fnstns-macbook:~ jeremyfnstn$ sudo cron -l
    Password:
    cron: illegal option -- l
    usage: cron [-s] [-o] [-x debugflag[,...]]

debugflags: ext sch proc pars load misc test bit

Then I typed sudo crontab -1 and it said no contrab in root

I then typed in sudo crontab -l and it said the same thing

Did I do anything bad? It only warned me about deleting things the first time around. What would it say if I did have a trojan?

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

3. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Okay. Trying again.;)

Can anyone actually tell me if I have done something wrong to my cpu by looking at the above?

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Wouldn't it be ironic if nothing was wrong with your Mac and you found malicious instructions to use in Terminal that actually screwed things up.

The only threat to Macs is user intervention.

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

No you didn't do any damage.

The crontab file contains pointers to scripts that execute at specific times.

crontab -l just lists out the contents of the crontab file.

When cron executes, it reads the crontab file for instructions.

While you can read the various crontab files (system, user, etc.), unless you know unix and know what is supposed to be in there and what is not supposed to be there, it won't help you.

DO NOT MESS WITH CRON OR THE CRONTAB FILES UNLESS YOU KNOW UNIX AND HAVE ADMINISTERED UNIX SYSTEMS. You can really mess things up.

Actually after researching it, in OSX, all of the cron jobs (Apples) are handled by launchd, not cron.

What instructions did you get? Please post them. I'd like to know also where you got them from as cron and crontab mostly apply to other flavors of UNIX.

6. danny_w macrumors 601

You didn't do any damage but you easily can if you don't know what you are doing in terminal, esp. if you have administrator or root privileges. As root you could fairly easily (by mistake of course) wipe your entire hard disk clean. Don't mess with terminal unless you know what you are doing! It can be very powerful, but also very dangerous, even for a pro. And if you do want to learn, get a good book and set your user account to "Standard", never "Administrator". And NEVER use the sudo command unless you know what you are doing or have very good instructions from a trusted source. I work in terminal every day, all day long (I am a software developer) and have seen far too many casualties caused by not following these rules. Fortunately, Macs are easy to clone and restore.

7. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Here is the article that I got the instructions from.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Why don't you just explain why you think you have a Trojan? Many people here are willing to help.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Article missing. ;)

10. Mindcrime13 macrumors member

11. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

12. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok, I read the article. This is old information.

They said check this first:

Next they said:

Now to the section about using crontab:

Since your ran "crontab -l" and it reported that you have no crontab for root, that should tell you something.

You don't have a trojan. Again this article is old information back from Oct 2007.

13. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

Merl1n never ceases to amaze me as he's always there to help people (including me). I wish that this forum had a Cred option because he would have a ton by now.
    Way to go Merl1n :D
    Alan

14. Jazzandmetal? thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I looked at the first 2 options first. I just really wanted to make sure I didn't delete anything. Also thank you everyone for any help.

For another poster I thought I got a trojan because I was looking at an adult site:eek:

A new window popped up and when I tried to exit it it came up with 2 smaller boxes. The first box read "if you want to exit please hit okay or hit cancel to stay". I hit okay on the first box and then on the second and I was able to close the window.

Since I hit okay in 2 boxes I wondered if I did something bad. I should have just force quit safari but did not think about that at the time.

15. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

WOW! Thanks for the kudos Siron. Much appreciated! :D