Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RubbishBBspeed

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 1, 2009
Posted a comment to another question here in the forum.

Dawned on me; with twitter, facebook, e-mail, blogs and a like including many many sites which I know not of there existence.

If and I am sure some of you are, where devotees to a brand and that that brands products had slipped in quality close to the point where regular concerns over quality and interruptions to enjoyment of those products had become so common place but where as yet to make the mainstream media news. Exactly how much stink do you think one consumer would be able to create.

Personally I've tried the ole writing to the CEO, the taking it back to the store and refusing to leave but in the end bit my lip allowed myself to be stuffed and taken it on the chin. Albeit making sure no family member ever bought from that organisation (not just the branded retail outlet) again.

Equation= No. of family members * average annual and special purchase spend * years since initial disgruntled purchase + negative vibes passed to concerned friends = about £75,000 to £85,000.

Not a fortune for a big company to loose but multiply me by a hundred and then another hundred and hopefully it soon adds up.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The given equation is for every pissed off customer it = 10x life time is the money lost.

For every very happy customer they get 3x lifetime and it is a lot easier to piss some one off than to make some one really happy but you do see the huge difference in loss money for every one you piss off.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
They seemed to have died down now, but I remember years ago all of the "____sucks.com" sites. I've always thought if you could get those up in the Google ranks, you could do something. Sadly, now they seem to get sued or harassed into oblivion.

If you have problems with a company, you could always try The Consumerist's Executive Email Carpet Bomb. Some people on there seem to have success with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.