How much data do you folks use on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Jul 11, 2010.

1. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I currently am on Virgin Mobile, and have been with them for many years. My bill is $27 a month after tax, 300 minutes, unlimited text and data. But of course the phones are pretty lame. And I really want something to sync up nice with my Macbook Pro, so I'm looking into the iPhone.

The only way I can justify the higher cellphone bill is if I get the 200MB data plan (and 200 text package), otherwise the monthly cost gets to pricey and I can't sell myself (or my wife) on it.
    A good majority of the time I'll be home (wifi), and I have a wifi router in my office at work I have set up as well. So I do see most of my data activity being over wifi. But since I've never had a phone capable of so much, able to use data over 3G, I have no idea how much data I can expect to be using while out and about.

My gut feeling is I'll use much less than I think I will, as again, most of my activity will probably be over wifi. But who knows. I know 200MB is NOT a lot. And maybe I can bump it up to 2GB at some point, but for now I just want to know if I'll be screwing myself by limiting myself to 200MB.

How much do you all use? And is most of your data activity over Wifi?

2. ElvisFreshly macrumors member

None cause theres a cap. Serious data users like me get robbed. Iphone is decent. Not worth the hassle of att and terrible hardware.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Swype and Mobile Hotspot on the Sprint Now Network
    No Data Cap ... Holla

3. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Troll.....I don't have a data cap either so I'm not sure what your talking about.

4. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Ahh ok just remember not to take your phone across any one lane bridges or they might collapse.

5. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

In 16 days of non stop iPhone 4 usage.

I have sent 5 MB of data
    Recieved 23 MB.

As you can see, 99.99% of my usage is on wifi. Not because I'm limited, because I have unlimited data. But at work, home, friends houses, restaurants, hotels etc all have free wifi.

So if your like me, the 200mb would be plenty.
    Though I'll keep my unlimited plan just incase :p

6. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

I also do not have a data cap so I do not know what the little troll is talking about. I don't use all that much.

To the thread starter don't your vaunted virgin mobile phone have some way of keeping track of your data usage? Most real smart phones do.

7. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

My data usage on my VM phone is really no indicator of anything, because I rarely ever use it. The browser on it sucks, and there's no useful apps. If it was any good, I'd stick with what I have, especially for $25 a month unlimited.

8. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks for your reply. I am thinking I might end up in that kind of situation. The only time I can see my burning thru non-wifi data is waiting in at the doctor's office, or basically anytime I'm out somewhere waiting for someone or something, which really isn't that often. Thanks again.

9. ElvisFreshly macrumors member

Not a troll. I bought the iBlown ... I mean iphone it was a disgrace. Charged hot as hell. And got no reception. I have a iPod Touch 3rd Gen 64GB that I love dearly. I don't want my ipod to ring. The touch was the true genius invention. Adding a phone was inevitable. But they didn't integrate it very well IMO.

Just got homescreen wallpapers? Come on man. Talk about soon feeding you features. Maybe they'll add a phone that works next year on a network that works.

If the iPhone 5 has a bigger screen 4.0 or larger and if its on Verizon I'll get it 3 months after it comes out when all the problems get fixed. Also updating my iPod with the new one in September. Iphone 4 is a def fail. Glass phone? Really?

But to answer my man's question I'm at 1,007,596 k/b on my evo. You can't truly be free with the iphone. Unless its JB which saved the iPhone.

10. fastblack macrumors regular

I set it up as a new phone and did not restore from backup
    [​IMG]

11. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Again I have no data cap on my phone. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Enjoy your lower resolution screen on that evo! And your choppy HD video recording.

Also, you do realize the iPhone came BEFORE the iPod touch right? You said "adding the phone part was inevitable"......but there was no iPod touch when the iPhone released.

12. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Only new iphone users dont get unlimited data. And most people on this forum have had previous phones. I have noting against android, but why would you buy the EVO? Its such a terrible phone, I think the incredible trumps it, if I couldnt have an iPhone though id probably be waiting for a droid X myself...

13. wyre macrumors newbie

I dont have an iphone, was considering an iphone 4 or an ipad but ... at least for the latter, new users are capped at 2 gb a month. That really was a deal breaker. I decided to stay with my ipod touch, which has been great, and got a Virgin Mobile pay as you go mi fi for access when no wifi is available. Very basic use (checking email, occasional web pages, and yes - the requisite speed test now and then) is adding up fast. About 20 mb per hour for very basic online usage is a good estimate.

There's a 5 gb option for the mifi , which is the same price as the major carriers (60 dollars/30 days) but I decided to wait awhile and see how much data I'd be using before signing up for that one (since you lose whatever is left at the end of 30 days) . The difference is there is no contract, and you can add more data if you have burned through your cap.

Those of you on the old AT & T plan may be grandfathered in to unlimited data, but they really are undermining the usefulness of these devices with their 'new' plan. How many people are going to stream netflix to their iphones/pods/pads as the clock is ticking? Even if you're on an original unlimited ipad plan -- when/if you make any changes to the plan, it's my understanding you lose the unlimited option. AT & T seems to be discouraging use to preserve bandwidth... very strange....

14. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

I too have a Virgin Mobile phone at the moment. Unlimited Data, unlimited text, with 300 minutes for $25. not too shabby. the only downside is the phones are pretty lackluster, unless you want to shell out the $299 for a blackberry, which also brings your bill up to $35, still not too shabby.

If I go iPhone, I'll probably just go with the 2GB plan. That should be enough, as I use wifi a lot of the time. But 200MB is just really not a lot of bandwidth. I feel like a couple good Youtube sessions over the network and bye bye 200MB easy.

15. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

So far I used 734.17 MB out of 2048, 18 out of 30 days.

16. modest serving macrumors member

So you were using the mobile hotspot AND using the swype feature? Were you simultaneously writing that post on you EVO AND another device?

I don't like you. :D

17. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

3.4gb but then again I have unlimited and stream radio stations at work (can't reach wifi where I sit).

18. modest serving macrumors member

You do realize that 1,007,596 kB is only 983.98 MB...less than 1 gig. So, I guess you don't really need all of that unlimited data anyways. :D

BTW I used convertbot to figure that out. It's a good app, check it out.

My own data usage is sort of all over the place. In February I used more than 9 gigs of data on my 3GS, but at the time I was jailbroken and tethering from work (company network blocks a lot of sites). Since then I've changed jobs and I no longer get 3G where I work, so I'm not tethering and I use about 2GB per month. I don't usually leave wifi on, though, so I can save battery. I think that if I left wifi on I would use a lot less data since I have it at home.

19. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

this month so far I have used:

57.8 MB sent
    1.6 GB Received

20. FortMOney macrumors member

I switched to the 2Gig plan since I was averaging about 600-700 mb per month of usage. I do have wifi at home and at a lot of friend's houses though.

21. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

My plan is only 1 GB so hopefully less than that.