How much data do you save by doing clean install?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iemcj, Nov 11, 2015.

1. iemcj macrumors 6502

iemcj

Curious on the new imac, what bloatware or actual good software do you get rid of if you do the "reinstall osx" and do it clean? Considering doing this since I'm realizing my windows partition needs to be bigger than I had planned. I saw a few days ago a user who mentioned something about saving space and I'm curious what I would gain (or rather lose) if I did this. Thanks guys!

2. erdmann23 macrumors newbie

I have the same exact question. Just got my new iMac yesterday and was wondering if a clean install would help.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Help what?
    Are you having an actual problem, or just curious about the results of a reinstall on a new Mac?
    It would help with the odd mis-installed OS X system (unusual, but happens), and might make you feel good, but not much else.
    An internet recovery wipe and reinstall would net you much the same as how it came out of the box, with the same exact set of apps.
    This is not Windows loaded up with junk apps on some third party platform.
    There's nothing on a new Mac that isn't Apple's stuff. There may be apps that you will never use.
    All might be called good, useful software.
    Some users here may not necessarily agree with that.

4. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

There really is no bloatware when you get a mac, doing a clean install wont change anything. The install is as clean as can be already/

5. iemcj thread starter macrumors 6502

iemcj

Not really looking for opinions on whether or not it's good stuff or bad stuff pre installed, I'm looking to find out the exact amount of stuff that changes. I've seen two separate posts of people talking about the space increase they saved, just cant find them in the search.

And for the record I DID recently have a problem. Screen kept loading to black, had to do the whole fsck -fy command line to snap out of it so I'm considering doing a clean wipe of the system. It was some sort of software error because I could boot into windows just fine, just osx had the problem. Sooooooo since I'm possibly doing a wipe anyway, I wana know how much more space I'll get. Make sense? ;)

6. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

7. G.McGilli macrumors regular

I've done the reinstall.

You save about 10gb.

You will lose Pages, Keynote, Numbers, iMovie, Garageband --- however they will all be available in your Purchased area of App Store and show as new purchases on the date you first connected your new mac to the internet.

I consider the entire iWork suite Bloatware as I don't want those, I never use them and sure as hell don't want them taking space on my Mac - especially with SSD space at a premium.

So - when i got the computer the 'OS' was taking 22gb.

It takes just under 12 now.

8. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Wrong. See my post above.

9. fa8362 macrumors 65816

iWork is better than anything Microsoft makes.

10. iemcj thread starter macrumors 6502

iemcj

Thanks man! That's exactly what I needed to know. Only one I'll redownload will be iMovie, I've always used open office so pages and numbers and all that nonsense can go away for all I care. :D :D :D