All iPads How much data do you use from web browsing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PhiladelphiaX, Nov 18, 2012.

1. PhiladelphiaX macrumors member

I'd like to know whether or not web browsing in particular is a sensitive activity with respect to data usage on the iPad. If there's anything that I'd probably be spending the most time doing on my iPad, it would be browsing the internet.

My question is, does browsing normal websites (up to 300 - 400 a day) eat up a lot of data? I know activities like streaming videos eats up a scary amount of data - so I'll be avoiding doing that.. but what about browsing the web? Is data usage measured by how long you're connected to the web? Or by how many pages you've visited?

I'd also like to know, do non-internet based applications eat up data at all? For example playing angry birds, using the CNN application, paying/checking bank statements through a bank application etc.?

2. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

A lot depends on the number of images each site has. I noticed this by disabling images on Firefox on my MBP for a day and tracking my data usage via the Activity Monitor and the amount of data I used was cut by at least 60%, if not more. Safari on iPad doesn't have the option but there's multiple browsers in the App Store that allow for the disabling of images. I use Perfect Browser and Atomic Web when I want to conserve bandwidth.

3. imlovinit macrumors 6502

imlovinit

Very good question. I'd be interested to know myself.

With apps I am assuming if the app requires Internet such as checking bank statements and such that requires Internet for the transaction ..the data. I wonder how the games work. Are they set and only require data usage when updating or interacting with fellow players? Anything requiring access to servers would take up data like loading images, game interactions with other players, etc. not sure how much that would take..assume the heavier the task, the more data consumed.

4. dragonev macrumors member

Another question - how much data does my iphone consumes when I use navigation? Let's say I do 2 hours per day. What do you think?