How much data would you put on the SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sawxray, May 10, 2011.

1. sawxray macrumors newbie

I have followed many of the experts here by installing the data doubler and an SSD in my 15" 2.3 MBP.

I have the Vertex 3 240GB in the original HD location, and a 750 original HD moved to the Data Doubler. When I did the install, I put just the system and applications on the SSD. I pointed to the User that remains on my original HDD.

Programs open FAST, and the system boots FAST! But I notice that some of my larger data files are opening relatively slowly. So here's my question:

I have 187 GB free on the SSD. I have 80GB of documents, with 70GB of music, nearly 300 GB of movies, and 70 GB of pictures. I was thinking of moving the documents to the SSD, since these are the files I use for my professional duties, and occupy most of my day.

1. Since my User files are on the HD in the Data Doubler, is there anything special I need to do to move these files?

2. Will TM still back up my new Documents folder?

3. Will this speed up my regular document usage?

4. Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

2. DarkFlame macrumors regular

I'd put the pics and docs on the SSD. Media can stay on the HDD. I like to keep my SSD as empty as possible but there really is no reason for that w/ the modern SSD drives.

FILL AWAY!

3. JayMBP macrumors regular

I keep all files in my HDD excepts applications.

The only heavy file in my SSD is an index file for my LR3. All the music, pics, docs won't benefit much from the brutal speed of the Vertex3, so there's no reason to keep them on SSD.

4. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I'd do all of your common docs, including common pics, and all of your music.