How much $$$ did Apple lose today?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamHernandez, Jan 15, 2008.

1. SamHernandez macrumors newbie

Besides losing 10 billion in market value, I mean... seems there were a dozen posters in this forum alone waiting to give Apple 2 grand+ for a new MBP.

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Honestly whats up with that huh? I would think maybe people were disappointed with the keynote results. I for one think the macbook air looks like a sweet computer, and I would probably buy it if I didn't have my current macbook pro.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Yeah...I was just looking at the day close for Apple...and WOW. My dad jumped right on that decline. It closed today loosing I think $9.74...not bad. The market is a wreck right now...it closed today at -$277 which is pretty bad. Apple has been all over the place and probably will be until the we are out of this recession.

4. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

Hyperbole. Their stock is still up almost 100% from a year ago.

Remember how many people were like, " $599 for a phone...no frickin' way!" Yet they sold a 250,000 the first weekend. I don't think the Air will be anything like that. It is just another attempt to gain even greater market share. I think Apple knows exactly what they are doing.

5. connectingrodd macrumors newbie

wow your dad has the business sense of a neanderthal

6. Vapor macrumors member

We are headed over to Apple to spend 1350 on a macbook I should have bought at Christmas. We waited for this........pretty disapointing. Apple Tv now has all the features of my Xbox 360. Way to go Apple.

7. quovadis macrumors regular

quovadis

a picture tells the story about Apple stock today ....

Draw your conclusions

Attached Files:

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Thank you for your insightful market analysis. I'm looking at buying AAPL also, since it seems artificially low thanks to today's announcements. It dropped right after the iPhone was announced also, IIRC. Look how poorly that's turned out. :rolleyes:

9. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

Ouch that sounds bad. I'm sure after a while they will regain their losses though.

10. djellison macrumors 68020

They lost £300 from me. I wanted to buy an updated MBP 15".

Instead, I will buy a refurb for £1299.

Doug

11. connectingrodd macrumors newbie

doubtful, the american economy is headed for a recession and no one is going to be buying over priced toys from apple

12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Usually when a product is released, there is usually a decline. Watch Apple very carefully. If anything I would buy right now. Apple was a huge money maker for me and my dad. It started with the iPod when Apple was at like $20 a share. He stayed with it up until last year. You get the idea. I would buy a few shares of Apple. Basically anything that Apple uses (Hitachi for HD, LG for LED, Texas Instruments, Intel, nVidia, ATI(owned by AMD now). I just try to help my dad by giving him companies like that. He jumps on it at the right time and a profit starts!

13. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Apple didn't lose any money. How many checks did they write for that loss of market value? Zero. The people who bought the shares on the secondary market have lost some value.

Apple lost nothing.

They weren't going to get anybody's money for a new Macbook yesterday, and they'll get it when the new one is released.

Apple's doing just fine.

14. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

You'd be very supprised...

15. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

By the time that happens you'd all be part of China Inc.

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Hahahahaha....thats a good one!! I like you...you are a funny person!:D

17. connectingrodd macrumors newbie

wow you have a very poor understanding of markets and economics in general

18. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I see. Could you please tell me where the money went that Apple lost? Where it will show up on their books as a loss?

Since you have so much more experience and knowledge in economics and finance, please, teach us all how it really works.

19. connectingrodd macrumors newbie

thanks for giving me a laugh, in the future don't waste my time child. If you want to learn about economics go and read about it, my time is too valuable to waste on elementary topics.

20. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Well, we know where you stand now.

You've insulted two posters in this thread, calling one's father a Neanderthal, and me a child.

It appears that it's you that knows nothing, and is only capable of insulting behind a veil of anonymity.

Have a nice day.

21. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Hopefully Jobs is reading this to learn something about how to run a business. [/sarcasm]

22. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Your time is too valuable to quickly explain your position but not too valuable to keep you from comparing a posters parent to a neanderthal. Let me guess, you just finished your research paper on supply and demand for your social studies class? Did you get an A? Gold star for you.

23. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

It's an accounting topic.

In fact, the only way market value gains and losses would be recorded on the balance sheet or income statement would be if the corporation marked to market, a practice common largely in financial services firms.

Stockholder's equity is also recorded on balance sheets at par value, not market value. Hence, Apple's balance sheets will also be unaffected in this regard.

Therefore, it's very questionable to say that Apple experienced any accounting or economic loss due to the small decline in its stock value. While the price decline may indicate the market's repositioning of its opinion of Apple's future profits and value, it may also represent a general market correction or be part of market inefficiencies.

Mr. Homo Erectus here may also wish to gain some insight into evolutionary biology as well seeing as how Neanderthals actually had a larger brain size than modern humans and how it's not necessarily the most intelligent or most adapted species that survives.

24. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

Bingo.

25. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Lame, Lame, Lame.

Who is the child?