How much did/is college costing you guys?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tkepongo, Nov 22, 2007.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

I figured i'll be in college for at least another 4 years so i was wondering how much loans you guys had to take to pay off your college. i'm guessing i'll be at least $25000 in debt when i come out

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm glad I didn't go to college or uni in the US! College was free and uni only set me back £6000. I started a year before the top up fees kicked in, thank god. My friend has just started university and it's going to cost him so much more for the same degree.

Minus a few £100 for the sparse part time work during university.

Suppose that's what our tax goes to or something.

4. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I'm looking at $30,000 for an MA. Don't think I can do it myself.

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

$115,000 so far and counting. another 2-3 years to go...:eek::(

6. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Work are paying for me to do my course. Fees are €20,000 over 3 years (in the last one now. They're also still paying me full salary even though I'm off work full time for this year (first & second years were part time), and paying me expenses to travel. All in all, the package is worth about €120k, and all I have to do is stay for 3 years :D:D:D

*I realise that I should feel sympathy for poor students, but I don't :p:p

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So these huge fees, are they like student debts or some kind of work-paid (like j26) deal? Aren't you going to end up spending the remainder of your working days paying that back? *sorry I've got no idea how it works in the US :eek:*

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

:eek: What are you majoring in?

I figure I'll be able to get through my BA with no debt, but I would have invested quite a lot (even for a public university).

As for law school...that's a $45,000/year investment, so I'm looking at around $150,000 of debt by the time I'm done. :(

Thankfully the starting salaries at large firms are $145,000+bonuses:eek:

9. bov macrumors 6502

10. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

undergrad #1 38000x3
    undergrad #2 4000x5
    law school 22000x3
    =$200,000

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Accommodation: I was on Youth Allowance (Government handouts for fulltime students - doesn't go far but it paid for my accom) so that was covered by that.

Tuition: Subsidised by the Government but in the end I had a debt of about A$25k

12. furious macrumors 65816

furious

13. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I've never really wanted to work it out, it's too painful.

My tuition fees are £1175 a year (I applied the year before top-up fees) and I get a £4.5k loan each year. I also have a £1500 overdraft. My loan, and working through summer and xmas keep me going.

14. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

in the UK on average it costs £9000per year apparently. I work in finance, so its great to ask people if they can afford that much to send their son/daughter to university. To find the actual source of that quote, id have to look at the small print on the poster, which maybe ill do next time in work.. or maybe not.

15. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

My son and I toured the University of Florida yesterday. He's hoping to get accepted for next fall. In our state we have a scholarship program called "Florida Bright Futures" which is funded by the lottery. With a 3.5 GPA and SAT score of 1270 + 75 hours of community service, residents get a 100% scholarship to the Florida college of their choice (with a few exceptions). He has a weighted GPA of 4.5 and scored 1320 on his SAT so we should be good to go with that. I'll gladly be covering his dorm and food expenses. I'm getting off cheap :D If he keeps going on with Graduate School he'll be on his own at that point.

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Georgia has a similar scholarship program in place. Lucky b******s:p:D
    Us Californians are being shafted...the UC rates are going to go up again next year:eek:
    Though are your son's SAT scores off the old or new test? Shouldn't it be a bit higher if it's based off of 2400?

17. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

They only count math and critical reading for Bright Futures.

18. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

I am in my sixth year of college. I earned an associates degree and am now going for a bachelors, in a different subject.

Tuition is $3133/per quarter = around $12,500/year (including summer term)
    So far I am in debt $9500, and have 2 years to go.

I personally don't think that is too terribly bad though

19. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

My uncle took a course and went through to get his degree in Mechanical Engineering. He went to college right out of high school, now he is around 48 and about two years ago he had just barely paid all his school off. So it's not cheap and you will spend a lot of time working it off.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

in state for csu is like 15k/year

after 5 years ill be about 12k in debt

kinda sucks

21. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I had always assumed that you were at Duke. My college costs me about 20K with room and board for the year.. Canadian tuition is a bargain.

22. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

this may sound cheap compared to american/canadian/british uni/college costs ... i pay like 360 euros per semester at university of vienna in austria.

the uni is good. i love it there. but german and austrian unis take a different approach towards academic education. i think it's just horrid to cash in *that* much money as an institution of academic education. it should be about bringing forth educated people instead of just those who had the monetary predisposition.

i've been to canada this summer and visited some renowned unis over there. i even sat in some classes and i am certain that my education is worth at least as much as their overpriced education.

23. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope when it came down to schools, duke was too pricey and wasnt as well known for my major (mech engr). also csu is right in my home town which is nice as i love ft collins and i get the home state discount

my cost also takes into account room and board

24. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My sisters school is like $44,000 a year. She's a senior right now. She'll be going to dental school next year...

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ouchers.