How much did you get for yours?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mellofello, Feb 1, 2011.

1. mellofello macrumors 65816

We already have a thread about people dumping their ipads. In this thread I would just like to know simply how much yours sold for.

I was going to go the ebay route but saw that the market was flooded. I checked completed auctions and one poor guy let a 64 gb go for $275. Ouch.

Most wifi 32 GB were in the $450-500 range with a case.

Went with CL. Took some good photos, used a html template from use.com (best move ever when selling), and wrote a description full of hyperbole.

12 hours later a good man from across town was handing me $550 for my mint 32GB with dodo case, and capacitive stylus. Pure profit since I got the ipad for free, but $100 off of retail for a refurb isn't bad.:cool:

I'm wondering if I came in under market since it sold so fast, or if I just got lucky.

How much did yours sell for?

2. alectheking macrumors 6502a

$580 for 3G 32 gig with a dock and invisible shield

3. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

$700 for a 64g WiFi with case and a couple of adapter cables which I had bought used from someone else.

4. Steven Jobson macrumors regular

Just because you made some sort of profit doesn't mean you didn't get ripped off. If a woman gets married and sells her engagement ring for 30 dollars, does that mean she didn't get ripped off? She got it for "free", afterall.

5. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I think you got lucky. I would have never paid you 550 for that iPad bundle. I would have rather spent $980 and got a new one (64gb fully decked out with apple care) knowing it was brand new.

And your reference to the "poor guy" who sold one for $275 on fleabay baffles me. When you buy something on fleabay, cl, or somewhere else and it is used - you expect to pay alot less than new. $275 is a damn good deal. $550 is not. If you can afford $550 for a used one - you definitely can afford another 500 to buy a new one. If not, then you have no business buying one in the first place.

I wouldn't be too proud of what you did. Just my 2 cents.

6. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Wow. Trying to find the right words to say to this.

Thats a complete ass-backwards way of looking at everything. I'm willing to bet nearly everybody looking for a used iPad "definitely" can not afford a $980 over a $550 one. Thats almost double their intended spending sum. Since when did eBay become the garbage disposal flea market? Sure, they don't always have the best reputation but I nearly always see respectable prices for quality items. In fact, I sold my 7 month used Iphone 4, unlocked for $750. Hardly "alot less than new".

As to why the OP shouldn't be too proud of what they did...what in the hell? They sold a damn good product at a respectable, 2nd hand price. Hell...nobody, not ONE damn person, forced anybody to buy it from them. Your entitled to your 2 cents, but referenced to any common sense, its complete garbage.

7. chadam macrumors member

chadam

8. bwrairen macrumors 6502

9. Gryzor, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011

Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Seriously, why do people care how much people got for their iPad? What people paid, and what they sell for is totally irrelevant. Stories of getting them for free are just ridiculous forum insecurity, there just in case somebody says you got ripped off, but as you say you got it for free, it doesn't matter...but we all know you didn't.

If you want to sell, go ahead and sell. Man up and take the loss.

10. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

11. mellofello thread starter macrumors 65816

OP here. I think I did pretty well. $100 in depreciation over 10 months is peanuts. The buyer also did well in that I took the time to set the ipad up for him, and jailbreak it to his specs. He also bought the mintyest possible ipad, because I am totally OCD about my electronics. It was in flawless condition, and loaded with apps.

To those who are claiming I couldn't have got it for free. You are wrong.

I bought ten ipads at launch, and then 3gs at launch I got my iPad for free plus pocketed over $1000. But wait it gets better. Since I used the iPad primarily for work, my CPA says that I can deduct most of the purchase price as a business expense. In the end I made a handsome profit off of owning the iPad.

I don't feel bad for selling :apple: things. Supply, and demand.