How much did you save on RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MBX, Jan 21, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Any of your examples of how much of $$ you saved buying third-party RAM compared to official apple RAM for the mac pro?

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

i haven't ordered my MP yet (waiting for 8800gt to get released) but Apple charges you $500 to go from 2gb to 4gb. By going with 3rd party RAM, that money could put your MP to 10gb and have $100 left over.

3. alesse macrumors member

even with my federal employee discount, apple would have charged $999 for 2x2GB (4.0GB) memory sticks. i bought 4x2GB (8.0GB) sticks from OWC for $399. so, twice the memory for less than half the price. :eek:

4. LostSunrise macrumors member

its a race...

I more or less am doing the same thing. I ordered from OWC on tuesday which was apparently a bit too late for the oh so popular 2gb dimms. So I've ordered 2x2gb from OWC and 2x2 from RAMJET for 269. Unlike OWC they only have one type. I've heard ok things about them back in the day, which was a tuesday... I'll probably cancel the other one once i get a shipment notification. In the case that they both ship would it be ok to mix that many kinds of RAM?

2x1gb apple
    2x2gb OWC qualified
    2x2gb RAMJET

Will it make a difference if I had all the same RAM from one vendor?