how much difference does 8gb of RAM make

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrackAddict, Apr 6, 2011.

1. MacCrackAddict macrumors member

Mar 31, 2011
    so the question is pretty straightforward, will upgrading a 2011 13" MBP to 8gb of RAM make a noticeable difference?

If possible, could you put it into some sort of context for me? :)
  2. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    No offense but if you scroll down on page 1 & 2 of this forum section you would see this question asked more than 5x. But again we will answer. It's not that noticeable unless you do intense video editing, photoshop, etc. I am rocking a 15" 2.2ghz 4gb ram with a reg hd not ssd and I am fine, no issues and I do moderate editing, etc. The ssd is mainly for boot, and speeding things up, the 8gb is great for running multiple things with the quad-cores and editing and so on.
  3. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Apr 11, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
  4. c7aea macrumors regular

Oct 2, 2010
    Easiest thing to do would be to see how much your using now... Say if you have 4gb now and only use like 2 then it wouldn't do much. But if your always down around a couple hundred mb then it would probably help you.
  5. MacCrackAddict thread starter macrumors member

Mar 31, 2011
    sorry i had a look but couldn't find it asked so simply, thanks for the replies though guys, seems like it's not really worth doing :)
  6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

Jan 17, 2008
    Big D
    It only makes a difference if the tasks you are doing demand that RAM. If it's sitting there unused, no difference.