How much difference in speed of Proc?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by markintosh, Aug 22, 2008.

1. markintosh macrumors member

markintosh

Its finally time to upgrade the old 12" PowerBook and I'm looking at the MacBook as a replacement.

The biggest difference for me between the 2 white models is the processing speed. The 120GB Hard Drive will be plenty (actually, I MIGHT upgrade either one to a 250GB), and the SuperDrive on the higher end machine isn't worth a lot to me, I have an iMac with a SuperDrive, so any burning I need to do will be on it...I just don't burn stuff on my laptops. And either one I would do an after-market upgrade to 4GB of RAM.

The main stuff I'd do on it will be Photoshop, Lightroom and Dreamweaver.
    I'd love to have a MacBook Pro, but I just can't do that much $$.

So, do you think I'd see that much difference in the speed between the 2 systems (2.1Ghz vs 2.4Ghz?). Keep in mind my iMac (1st version Alu.) is a 2.0Ghz with 4GB RAM and to me, it is VERY FAST (compared to my PCs they make me use at work!)

Thanks for your opinions!

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

If you are going to get the 2.4 then you might as well get the better looking BlackBook. BUT... you don't need it, the base model 2.1 will do all you need and be faster than you are used to. Spend the saved money on more memory (but don't buy memory from apple, too expensive :D)

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

If your iMac is doing fine for your tasks, the 2,1 macbook would do fine as well. As long as you haven't been using the L2 cache to its fullest on the iMac, the 2,1 macbook would actually be a bit faster.