How much difference would the new 13" model make over a late 2010 13" with upgrades?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DougFNJ, Oct 24, 2011.

1. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

Hello everyone. I saw Apple released the new MacBook Pros. I currently have a late 2010 13" Macbook Pro with Core2Duo. I upgraded the hardware to 8GB RAM and a 256GB Samsung SSD.

My main concerns on my current setup is that near future upgrades and updates could possibly remove Core2Duo from compatibility as it is a few years old? If I am way off on this please tell me.

My main concerns on upgrading is cost, heat issues on Sandy Bridge, and wondering if the performance increase would be enough of an upgrade to spend the cash.

I don't do any heavy gaming. I use it for simple navigation of Lion, file handling, web surfing, email, organization, spreadsheets, word processing, and messing around with Aperture, my current setup is excellent.

For Final Cut Pro X it is sufficient, it runs fast enough for the most part, the RAM and SSD have definitely sped it up quite a bit.

I was curious how much more of a performance difference I would see on the new 13" model over my current setup, particularly with FCPX. For instance, would saving my final work cut 20 minutes in half, or would I be looking at saving maybe 2-3 minutes? Would File Rendering that might take 20 minutes while editing do the same?

2. csjo00 macrumors regular

I was actually wondering the same thing, because I was thinking about upgrading as well.. Although my 2010 13" is more than enough for what I need. I think I'm going to wait until next spring, and see if they'll post a refresh. Maybe even a redesign.

3. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Compatibility is not an issue.
    And for the things you're doing, your current macbook is fine for another 4 years (if it doesn't break somehow).