How much do app developers make ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by max2, Nov 17, 2015.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

I was told by one there app pays for the mortgage of their house.

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I know someone and his brother made some silly game where you decorate cakes or muffins or something like that and they made several hundred thousand off of in app purchases, over maybe a year of the app being out or so? Then there are many who barely make anything.

3. jakeruston macrumors regular

How much do people who buy lottery tickets make?

Same thing - some will get loads, some will get close to nothing. There's no "rule" about how much app developers make.

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you're planning on making your own app the odds of it bringing in a lot of money are pretty low. If you're wanting to work for a large company that develops apps as part of their business then you can probably google and find out how much an average programmer makes.

5. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

No just asking because was wondering if the developer I talk to if making enough to pay for the mortgage of their house was true?

6. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's possible, but not for most developers. I think there was an article on here about how much different apps make, and basically the top 50 or so do pretty well, but if you don't make it into that the amount of money brought in drops off rapidly.

8. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

If you work for a company you make around 130-150k... if you work on your own... I don't know...

9. Eau Rouge macrumors regular

10. judahde macrumors member

I can answer that from personal experience. A lot. That is you can make a lot and lose even more. Sold one application and bought an airplane and a hanger to put it in. Then I lost a PILE on a "sure thing". Then up then down and again and again.

So smarts and hard work are the requirements just to buy the lottery ticket. I'm sure that 100 years from now historians will compare the whole internet and app frenzy to the California Gold Rush. Some strike it rich and most don't.

So could one pay a mortgage off? Yes. But human nature is such that a success deludes one to think they can repeat it and make even more.

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Not if their app isn't popular enough to make it into the top 50. Even then, some app developers have reported under $100 per week who were in the top 50. There was an article posted months ago here on MR about that very thing.

12. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Very few developers make a living from their apps. Majority make close to nothing.

13. max2 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is there any tools to find out how much a certain app makes a developer ?

14. CraicDesign macrumors newbie

CraicDesign

No, of course not. It's between them and Apple. Unless an app is in the charts, it won't make much. I did have an app in the charts in the old days, and I made enough to pay for the mortgage for several years. When it fell out of the charts, I had to go get a regular job.

Now I made myself sad.

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

16. chown33 macrumors 604

Twice as long as the distance from one end to the middle.

17. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

That's a very specific question.

18. Talukdar macrumors member

Talukdar

I have seen them working for $30-40 per hour on different freelancing sites.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

I gave my last app for iOS away from free but I'm still waiting for Apple to pay me. It's a mug's game and you're best to stick to real jobs like hair dressing.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You should make an app for that.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

22. chown33 macrumors 604

Just don't expect to make any money from it.