How much do I charge for creating music?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jade Cambell, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Jade Cambell macrumors 6502

I currently have a client who i'm creating photo slideshows for, for meditative purposes and such. He really likes the piano improvisations that i've recorded to the slideshows, and wants to create products for sale using his photos and my music. It's not a huge production or anything that will sell millions of copies, but he will be selling them. I have no idea what course of action to take in terms of how to claim my fair share based on the fact that it's original music that I created. Can I sell the copyrights to him for a fixed sum of money? How much would that be normally? Or instead should I get a percentage of the money when the product sells? And should he still pay me a larger sum up front even if i'm just licensing the music to him?

Agh, so many questions. Can someone just explain to me how it all works and what I should do?

Thanks

2. bartelby macrumors Core

If I were you I'd keep the copyright. If you sell it your client could then sell your music on.

3. Jade Cambell thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright so how do I charge him for it? What percentage of his sales revenue do I claim? And do I charge him a fee up front?

4. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

You wouldn't necessarily have to sell the copyright, only the usage rights known as mechanical license (mechanicals). Questions to ask yourself:
    1. How many people will be buying/hearing/seeing the product?
    2. How much revenue will be generated?
    3. How will the product be distributed?
    4. Will you ever use the music for another project, whether it be one of your own or another organization's project that wants to buy a license?

Really, there are a million ways to go. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.