How much do I charge?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TheShinyMac, Jun 3, 2011.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My neighbor asked me to scan a few pictures for her son's graduation. Well, a few turned into many and 103 later I'm done and creating a slide show in iPhoto. How much should I charge? I don't want to charge her but I have to.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I hate to say it, but if you didn't negotiate a rate up front it's a bit late to be thinking of this.

How much time have you spent on it so far?

B

3. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

She asked me to tell her the price at the end. Upwards of 5 hours.

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you like the neighbours ... @ $100 seems fair for everyone

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Better!

Is there some service said neighbor (or her son) could do for you instead of cash payment? Mow your lawn? Cook you dinner? ... (more than once if necessary).

Otherwise you're stuck with a dilemma, undercharge and you set a bad precedent and devalue your own time, overcharge and you might disrupt the relationship, ...

EDIT: Apple OC is about right, though I might suggest something closer to $75-$80 as being more in line with the neighbor's expectations.

B

6. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Her son will already be doing our country and I a favor, serving in our Air Force. As of writing this reply, I did not see OC's reply. 80$ sounds reasonable to me.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Then do it for free.:D

8. tktaylor1 macrumors 6502a

tktaylor1

I agree with this guy

9. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

If she asked you for the price then you charge her. I would say not charge normally but since she wants to pay you and you say no then they will probably come back with more work for you later expecting it to be free.

Although there are problems when not charging. I helped out a friends parents on computer stuff for about three hours one day. They insisted on my taking $50, they are very wealthy. I refused, the next time I was there they refused to talk to me until I took the money.

10. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

I have to agree. You shouldn't take the money on this unless you need it badly. It will also help strengthen your friendship.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

People don't do each other favours anymore? :confused:

There are lots of things you CAN charge for, but I don't know if that'll hurt your relationship in some way.

12. peepboon macrumors 6502

peepboon

13. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Got to agree ...

14. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

I have networked my friends houses for free. I have also fixed many of my friends/co-workers computers. They offer me money but I refuse it.

15. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Free... they are your neighbor and it sounds like they know you well to ask you to do this... shows they value your skill. Let it be his graduation present and a thanks for serving you in the Air Force.

If they pay you back somehow, great! If not then you did the right thing and karma or whatever you believe in will be on your side.