How much do I have to spend...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fate0311, Sep 29, 2016.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502

...to not have lag when editing in Lightroom? I have a maxed out Mid '15 MBP with dGPU which I spend ~3100 new.

To be honest, is the next MBP revision still going to lag in crap like lightroom?

Help me out here...because I'm keeping this MBP if I'm just going to be in the same boat.

I mean this is a complete rant, why is it that when I'm using the touch up brush it takes 3 seconds for it to catch up to where I'm actually touching up and my fans are at full RPM. They are RAW files but still.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Open Terminal and type in uptime then press Enter. What does it output?

3. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

My MBP gets rebooted daily.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Okey dokey. Reopen windows unticked?

Have you mentioned this on the Adobe forum? Any suggestions they've made, or have they confirmed it's a documented issue?

What OS are you running, please? Any other software issues or just Lightroom?

5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Because you are doing graphically intensive work on a laptop, with software fairly poorly optimised for your chosen system would be my guess.

6. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Unfortunately, all recent Macs (except the Mac Pro) are essentially laptops. Granted the mini and iMac look like desktops. But the are laptop class computers.

There just aren't any affordable desktop class high performance Macs. And very few can afford to get into the overpriced Mac Pro.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Nonsense, the Mac mini is a computer with laptop internals of course, much like any other mini PC.

The iMac however does use desktop class processors, and mobile GPU's more of a hybrid, with Polaris this will make little difference to the performance the latest GPU's have closed the gap between mobile and desktop quite a lot. Add in a class leading 5k screen worth well over $1000 and they are a bargain.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People have longed complained about Lightroom and its performance on the Mac. Not just the MBP, the 5k iMac has had issues with lightroom lagging as well. I think its a combination of Adobe not doing what it can code wise, and Apple and its GPU drivers