How much do older Macs cost?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nguinn97, Apr 18, 2012.

1. nguinn97 macrumors newbie

I am thinking of getting a used Mac desktop. I was wondering how much better a Mac uses its hardware than a PC. I would like one that can at least play some recent games, had a pretty fast processors, and around 4gb of RAM. I searched this myself, but I am not sure how good the Mac graphics cards are. I am also wondering about the price difference between an older iMac and Mac mini are. Thank you in advance for your help.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

3. nguinn97 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do know about the refurb. store. Is it true that if you go there at odd times that there are cheaper prices? I think I heard that somewhere. I was thinking of playing Team Fortress 2, Minecraft and Skyrim. I know that Skyrim is not out for Mac, but I could run it I in Boot Camp.

----------

I was thinking of spending around $600 on it. I have seen quite a few on eBay. I might be able to spend more, but I am just doing some research. I would probably be buying one in around a year. By then, there will probably be a new iMac and the older ones would be cheaper, so this is just a rough estimate.

I was mainly wondering how good the graphics cards in iMacs are. I have no idea if they are any good for playing games. I know that Macs are not great for gaming, but I don't play that many games anyways, and most of them aren't that graphically demanding.

----------

I was thinking about getting a 2009 or 2010 model. Those ones seem to be old enough to be cheaper, but they are still pretty fast.

4. Captain Cat macrumors newbie

Based on the games you mentioned, a 2009 model should be fine. My 2009 MBP has no problem with Skyrim (the most demanding game you have listed), albeit at lower settings. iMacs should have better graphics performance than MBP's. A quick ebay search shows that you can get some '09 models for around $600 (completed listings).
    Note that you will get better performance with any game playing in Windows (drivers, etc), and you will get better value for your dollar (in gaming) buying a PC (as PCs depreciate faster than Macs). Not a slam, just something to keep in mind.