How much do the MBP's depreciate?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Evev12, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Evev12 macrumors regular

I was just windering...what's the average depreciation of a MBP over a year? If I purchase a new 15inch rMBP for $2700 today...what do you think it would sell for by next August (assuming that's the date of the new release)? If I were to take this approach, which I think I may...I'm thinking it may make more sense to upgrade to a 512 ssd, as it seems there will probably be a higher demand (when combined with teh 16RAM) as there are probably a LOT less of them then most other builds. What does everyione else think? I'm just thinking about it...If I buy a computer for $2,500 every 5 years, wouldn't it just make more sense to take a $500 hit every year and just keep upgrading at release? Looking at this from a more economical standpoint, I think the most economical approach one could take, would be always purchase LAST years model, and continually pay $300 or so to upgrade every year (which would essentially mean that you would always be one year behind in models). Opinions?

2. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

My own feeling is that a new computer's good for a couple of years before I start getting fussy. I think most normal people can go 3-4 years.

Upgrading is costly. I don't know this for sure, but I suspect you'll lose money faster on a shorter upgrade cycle (like 1 year) than you will on a longer upgrade cycle.

3. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

I disagree on the update cycle. If you update once a year, you end up spending a bit more or an equal amount than with a 4 year cycle.

Example based on base line rMBP (When kept in like-new condition):

Year 1 (economic value):
    New :€2317
    After 1 yr: €1700-1800

New purchase(rev B rMBP?): +/- €2000 (cheaper this time around, always).

Extra money acquired after year one: €200-300

Year 2 (Rev B rMBP):

New : €2000
    After 1 yr: €1550
    New Machine: €1900-2000

Extra money acquired after year two: €350-450

Continue with an average of €350,- each year during 4 years.

Total extra money spent since original rMBP after 4 yr: (350 x 4) €1400.

---

When rMBP is kept for 4 years:

Economic value:

New : €2317
    after 4 yr: €1000

Extra money acquired with only one upgrade and a new machine (once/year) after 4 years: +/- €1400

So, I'd say it's better to sell after one year than to keep one machine for 4 years as there are no financial benefits. While spending the same amount of €, warranty is maintained during 4 years and also the latest hardware.

just my 2 cents.

4. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Many of you guys in the EUR-zone have different economics because of the ludicrous sales taxes. Not sure what that's like in Holland, but in many of the higher rate countries you can flip every year and not take ANY losses or even make a little to pay for your annual trips to the US!

Here, we also have a sales-tax effect but it's smaller. For hot product if you buy in a tax free state or online (from Apple resellers), you can flip it into a heavier tax state a year later without much of a loss at all. Other than that you take a tax hit plus maybe 10% in the first year. After that the depreciation curve varies on the model and the extent of the upgrades offered the next year.

5. knarzie macrumors regular

in my experience, holding on to it is a little more sensible financially, but the sweet spot is reached too late IMO. I know a few guys who upgrade religiously every year and usually take a 15% hit. Having said that, once the machines are 4+ years old and in flawless condition, they are pretty stable. I've bought and sold a few 12" Powerbooks at a profit/no loss, although that has a bit of a special status for enthusiasts admittedly.

6. Evev12 thread starter macrumors regular

Dammit....your 2 cents make a lot of sense. Lol. I completely forgot to factor in the value of my computer after 4 years because I never sell it. I guess in my lazy case it works out. Gotta remember to sell my old computers!!