How much do you pay for software subscriptions and services per month?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tytsama, Oct 1, 2013.

1. tytsama macrumors newbie

Just yesterday, I began the subscription to photoshop cc so that I can have access to photoshop for 20 bucks per month.
    It's interesting that Adobe has moved into the subscription model since this is the first major app I have on my RMBP. Thank god I don't have to spend a few hundred bucks at once.
    This makes me wonder about the expense of everyday use of computers after the initial purchase, so what else software do you guys subcribe to or have you bought for your mac? And services like Netlix?
    What's the subsequent expense of your mac after the purchase?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I pay for iTunes Match... which I think is $25/year (-20% because I load my iTunes account with discounted gift cards every fall).

I was paying $10/month for spottily, but I dropped to the free service.

A long time ago, I had a family mobile me account, but that is gone.

I currently have no other recurring expenses for my Mac. I own Adobe CS6, and have been hesitant to move to their subscription model. It just rubs me the wrong way.

I do not count Netflix... because I consider that to be a home TV type of expense, rather than a computer expense. Same with Fios (TV/Phone/ethernet).

/Jim

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

The only thing I currently pay per month for is my hosting service for the websites I manage.

I think expense depends on each individual user. Each person and what they use their computer for will be what determines a final price on everything. I do web & graphic design, so I have Adobe CS6 Collection. This is my main program.

If I were to purchase all my programs and plugins new, well I would be into a few thousand dollars. But I also prefer to own my programs. This is why I do not currently subscribe to any program subscriptions. Notice I said currently. I do know that somewhere down the road it will happen.

I do earn money through owning the programs, so in the end it is actually my clients who pay for them, not directly.

Some people will use virtually no programs or just the ones that come with their computer. So their expenses will be nothing. Others will be hugely expensive, especially if it is a business computer.

4. kunai macrumors regular

$0.

I use open source wherever I can, and when it's a pain, I buy boxed copies. I will never pay for Adobe CC or some sort of SaaS plan.

5. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

I'm not a fan of subscriptions for software where the online component is not essential. I pay for iTunes Match, Flickr Pro and that's just $50 a year.

6. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Nothing at the moment, although I've been thinking about trying CrashPlan+ to have an off-site backup.

7. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Zero on any subscriptions - and that shall remain. Bought required boxed software several years ago. That's it.

8. dakwar macrumors 6502

Zero bucks. And I'm not an audio/video professional.

9. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I missed that one... so add Crashplan+ to my short list.

For most other cloud services, I use the free versions. Mostly for me... that is Dropbox... which has grown "moderately large" do to being an early user with lots of referrals. Even though there are many similar services available... I would probably pay for a larger dropbox account rather than add competing services from Google, Microsoft, and others. There is a simplicity that comes from having just one such service... plus each of these sucks down CPU, Network, and I/O cycles... shortening the battery life. I need the service, but I only need one.

/Jim

10. jdr999 macrumors newbie

Here's my current list:

Pandora (but may switch to iTunes)
    Audible
    Netflix
    CrashPlan

ManageWP (couldn't live without)
    Scribe SEO (but only because of a huge discount)
    Dropbox
    MadMimi
    AdWords
    Synthesis & Bluehost web hosting

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Interesting thread.

My subscriptions include the following:

Crashplan+ - $14/mo (Unlimited Family Plan)
    iTunes Match - $25/yr
    Everpix $5/mo (Just signed up yesterday, wanted an additional backup of my photos)

Even though I'd like to support additional services I use, such as Dropbox and Evernote, the additional features don't warrant it in my use cases.