Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

detroitl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Just wondering because I bought an open box rMPB for $1880 so I want to know if I should keep it or wait for apple refurbs to come out. I know no one will probably know the exact price, just asking for an estimate.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Just wondering because I bought an open box rMPB for $1880 so I want to know if I should keep it or wait for apple refurbs to come out. I know no one will probably know the exact price, just asking for an estimate.
Why was it open box? That would be the first question to get answered.

detroitl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Why was it open box? That would be the first question to get answered.

I think someone just bought it and returned it. No screen imperfections, opened it up to the new user screen(I think bestbuy probably reloaded it though), and the battery only had 2 cycles on it.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I think someone just bought it and returned it. No screen imperfections, opened it up to the new user screen(I think bestbuy probably reloaded it though), and the battery only had 2 cycles on it.
Going by the discounts on late 2011 15" MBPs, I would say $300 maybe, but it's only a guess. And it's also a guess on how long it will take before they show up on the refurbished story.

So how long are you willing to wait for maybe not getting the same discount. Although the other question is, is the configuration you bought going to meet your needs over the next 2 or 3 years?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You're fine keeping the one you have. Refurb prices won't be much different, and you don't know when they'll become available. You're covered by warranty, so just enjoy your Mac.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Probably $1899-$1999 for the base model going by other refurbished models. I wouldn't expect to see them for a few months though since they still haven't caught up on new orders.

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
You probably saved $20 to $120 for a brand new one (only 2 cycles while some sealed mbpr probably have 3-5 cycles) and didn't have to wait months for it to appear. Well
Done

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
You probably saved $20 to $120 for a brand new one (only 2 cycles while some sealed mbpr probably have 3-5 cycles) and didn't have to wait months for it to appear. Well
Done

Apologies for the naive question as I am new to mac but how / where can you determine the number of battery cycles...

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Apologies for the naive question as I am new to mac but how / where can you determine the number of battery cycles...

Apple symbol
About this Mac
System report
Power

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1519

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I say about 2000USD.
With only 2 cycles, it seems like its not been used as much.
As long as its in mint condition, the price would not change as much.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
so I want to know if I should keep it or wait for apple refurbs to come out.

This is a truly ridiculous question. If you aren't willing to pay that price for it, don't buy it. Also keep in mind that the retailer may have a restocking fee policy. Apple dropped their own restocking fees, but third party retailers cannot necessarily afford to do so. Their margins may be quite different from those seen by Apple.

Fortimir

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah, you already bought it. You really considered returning it to potentially save a few bucks? Geeze. We make fun of people like you in the retail industry. :D

As far as how soon? I really don't think *that* long. Apple starts getting returns on products as soon as they start shipping them. It's likely they hold on to stock for a couple months as to not cannibalize sales of new gear, though. But I guarantee they already have stock of refurbs building up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.