Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Will it be $10 like in the past, or will Apple throw us a bone and keep it at the $5 level like the current 3.1 upgrade? Or better yet, free?

My touch won't be able to use the multitasking feature in 4.0, but a $5 upgrade would still be a no-brainer. For $10, I'd have to think about it.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
If I recall they changed their accounting rules, so they might be able to make it free now.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
My friend gave me his 1st generation iPod touch as he never used it a few weeks ago. I upgraded the OS to the latest version and wasn't asked to pay anything for it. I would think it would be in Apple's best interest to have everyone upgrade to the latest OS so they can stop supporting the older versions quicker.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
My friend gave me his 1st generation iPod touch as he never used it a few weeks ago. I upgraded the OS to the latest version and wasn't asked to pay anything for it. I would think it would be in Apple's best interest to have everyone upgrade to the latest OS so they can stop supporting the older versions quicker.

Quick question: Had your iTunes account ever been used to purchase the OS upgrade for another iPod touch? Or to synch with another iPod touch that already had the newer OS? My theory is that if Apple already has your account on record as having used a newer version of the OS, then maybe they counted that as giving you permission to use the same OS on all other iPod touches attached to your account.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
If I recall they changed their accounting rules, so they might be able to make it free now.

Especially with the first generation iPod touch being unsupported now, so that many of the pre-accounting-rules-change devices will be out of the picture.

But I suspect we haven't seen the end of paid-for OS upgrades yet. I think $5 is likely, but no more than $10.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Im pretty sure iOS4 is free.
Anybody updating with any ipod touch or iphone currently out, it comes with a cost; it drains your battery 2x as fast.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
Quick question: Had your iTunes account ever been used to purchase the OS upgrade for another iPod touch? Or to synch with another iPod touch that already had the newer OS? My theory is that if Apple already has your account on record as having used a newer version of the OS, then maybe they counted that as giving you permission to use the same OS on all other iPod touches attached to your account.

Sorry for the late reply.

I never used my iTunes account to purchase the iOS upgrade for another iPod touch. However, I have used my iTunes account to sync another iPod touch which had iOS 3 already installed.

Also, my brother purchased iOS 2 for his iPod touch but didn't have to pay for the iOS 3 upgrade.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
It might just be me but I found my Touch (64Ggb gen 3) battery life to be longer after the upgrade to IOS 4.

Also, it looks like the two people that posted are affiliated with redsnow so I'm not sure I believe them (possible conflict of interest ?).

DolmenRage

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2009
Where is this update? The Apple site only says that it's available for iPhone 3G, 3GS and 4. No mention about the iPod touch and it doesn't ask me to update when I plug in my iPod.

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
It doesn't drain

Agreed battery life is better and the response time at the unlock as well as when exiting apps has shortened on a 3rd Gen Ipod Touch

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
That would be nice, but no. Im with T-Mobile, but im pretty sure im getting a 4g ipod touch or at least a 3g.

4G isn't out yet... there's not even any juicy rumors floating around, so I wouldn't expect to see it until spring 2011 when iOS 5 is rumored to be released. You can unlock the iPhone to be used with T-Mobile also. Friend of mine even talked to a T-Mobile rep who said that while they didn't support the iPhone, there wasn't any problem using it on their network.

To the few comments about battery life, I've noticed a pretty decent increase on my iPod touch 2G, even after being jailbroken. The link that liamkp provided refers to the 4.0GM release, it could be that there's been a few minor tweaks to the final release.

Oh, and it's most definitely free now :) Just thought I'd point out an obvious fact that I'm sure most people have figured out by now.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
4G isn't out yet... there's not even any juicy rumors floating around, so I wouldn't expect to see it until spring 2011 when iOS 5 is rumored to be released. You can unlock the iPhone to be used with T-Mobile also. Friend of mine even talked to a T-Mobile rep who said that while they didn't support the iPhone, there wasn't any problem using it on their network.

To the few comments about battery life, I've noticed a pretty decent increase on my iPod touch 2G, even after being jailbroken. The link that liamkp provided refers to the 4.0GM release, it could be that there's been a few minor tweaks to the final release.

Oh, and it's most definitely free now :) Just thought I'd point out an obvious fact that I'm sure most people have figured out by now.

I know that... I was just sayin when it does come out, which almost everyone is betting on this September. I know I could unlock it but that means i would have to buy it at retail which is probably gonna be 500 bucks at least.

Hmmmmm...

Ive already stated that. ;)

johnnyham

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2010
I know that... I was just sayin when it does come out, which almost everyone is betting on this September. I know I could unlock it but that means i would have to buy it at retail which is probably gonna be 500 bucks at least.

Hmmmmm...

Ive already stated that. ;)

Retail iPhones come unlocked. eBay is a great place to find locked iPhones for relatively cheap that you can unlock yourself.

liamkp

macrumors 68020
May 29, 2010
Retail iPhones come unlocked. eBay is a great place to find locked iPhones for relatively cheap that you can unlock yourself.

I know, thats where i get my phones. It just matters how much the iphone costs, i might just combine my phone and mp3 into one and see if i can save some money! ;)

**Edit** I dont think so, the iphone 4G is 200 for 16gb with a 2 year. Maybe a 3GS or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.