How much do you trust iDisk and Apple's servers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blueskybyway, Oct 13, 2007.

1. blueskybyway macrumors member

Are any of you using iDisk to store extremely important docs? Is so, are you concerned about something happening to Apple's servers and losing it?

If I understand correctly, iDisk will mirror what you have on your computer, so even if Apple lost the info on their side, you should still have a copy, correct?

I'm using iDisk to store the articles I write and it works great. I can work on the article for a while on my iMac, then when I want a change of scenery, I pull it up on my Macbook in another room and continue working.

I'm wondering if I should be pulling out a copy of the documents and filing on one or both of the computers, but that seems redundant and is a pain, not to mention difficult when it comes to version control.

Any thoughts on this? If idisk is in sync with both my Macs and something catastrophic happens to Apple's servers, would I still be able to access my docs from one of the computers. Any other precautions I should be taking?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Well, I'm paranoid, but that might be why I haven't lost so much as an email in 20 years..... anyhoo - I use iDisk for storing important stuff too, but I use Chronosync to synchronise the data on iDisk with a: a folder on my MBP and b: a backup directory on my G4 file server.

In addition, once a month, I burn that same directory to DVD.

Probably overkill, but like I said, I'm paranoid :p

I'd say that it's fairly unlikely you'll have a major problem with iDisk, but service providers _have_ been known to lose customers data, so some sort of backup is certainly worth having.

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

True...but Apple is not Comcast ;), and thank God for that.

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

I remember watching an OS X tutorial on Lynda.com before I bought my Mac. The dude that did the video specifically mentioned that Apple did not back up those servers. I don't know what his source was, or if this has changed since then, but I wouldn't want my only copy of a document on their servers.

5. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

You are paranoid. You must be dying for Leopard so you can use IDisk, Chronosync, Time Machine and DVD. I suggest you put your monthly DVD in a fireproof safe bolted to the floor in a secluded closet.

6. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

I doubt that.

7. blueskybyway thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Thanks for the info everyone. I believe Apple does back up the servers, I just wonder what the potential is for them to lose something. I will start to copy or backup the info that is in there. Before, I was just working on one computer and backing up to idisk. Now I'm working completely off two computers and working from idisk only. I didn't realize you could back something up from idisk. That will solve the problem if that's the case.

8. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

They have more "9's" than we can afford. Economies of scale play powerfully in their favor.

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i don't really use my iDisk much, but i might start doing what you are doing. putting docs on it, and then i can edit them from any of my machines. i need to get my money's worth you know ;)