Apple TV How much do you use your jailbroken features?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Muttster, Jul 16, 2012.

  1. Muttster macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2007
    #1
    I have an AppleTV 2 and I see a lot of people saying that jail breaking this device brings it to a whole new level. I 've tried to read up about it as much as I can but I'm wondering how much I would actually use these additional features. Can some of you tell me how you use these new add ons in the real world. I know that there are many things that it can do but exactly how much are these new add ons utilized by you or is it more of a "gee wiz, look what my AppleTV can do?" Not trying to be cocky or trolling, just interested in how you utilize these features and whether or not its worth it.
     
  2. maturola macrumors 68040

    maturola

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #2
    About 85% of the time. The other 15% is Netflix (which is stock).

    All the other time, I use Jailbreaking features: Plex, XMBC, Hulu, LiveStreams.
     
  3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #3
    I did my first ever JB this weekend on my ATV2 following the instructions on this website. Then I installed XBMC 11.0 Eden. I haven't had a lot of time to explore it all yet, but it seems like endless possibilities of things that can be installed.
     
  4. whoiare macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2011
    #4

    the fact is is that its FREE....so whether or not you use any of the features is moot. Its simple and easy. The jailbreakers really made its simple for anyone with a micro USB cable to jailbreak the apple tv. Installing nito/firecore/xmbc takes a bit of terminal but other than that its not costing you ANYTHING but time. and if you truly dont like it well then its super easy to go back to the original ATV2 software. The latest OS is supported with the jailbreak so there is really no worries as everything is restorable.

    the benefits are as follows
    1. stream movies/shows/music from a PC that are NOT in "apple approved" formats
    2. get one nice and neat place to stream internet free content - as in HGTV, food network etc. all these shows are currently online for free, but XBMC or plex or whatever you choose will allow you to access them in a neater package
    3. too much to list

    i think most people who jailbreak are the ones who are also cable cutters.These are people with highspeed internet and who also feel that paying for 1000 channels just to watch 2 or 3 of them is ridiculous.

    also to note. if you arent currently/dont see the need to jailbreak your ATV2. then i suggest you sell it ASAP. They are going for double they are worth right now solely based on the fact that they CAN be jailbroken - but if this doesnt fit you then sell it and buy 2 ATV3's and get the added horsepower of the ATV3 and just lose the ability to jailbreak
     
  5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2008
    #5
    Having access to Hulu, not Hulu Plus, alone is worthwhile.

    Everything else is a bonus.
     
  6. alexreich macrumors 6502a

    alexreich

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2011
    #6
    When I had a JB'd ATV2 I used the Media Player supplied with aTV Flash black about 50% of the time to stream off my home file server, and the other half of the time I used Netflix.

    Happily acquainted with a 160GB ATV1 now. :D

    Using my Xbox 360 to stream Netflix now.
     
  7. Nychot macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2011
    #7
    How about being able to watch current films that are just hitting theaters? How about being able to watch all the uk networks? How about being able to watch practically every tv series ever made, like every episode of columbo or rockford files? How about xxx up the wazoo? And on and on.ALL FREE.
     

Share This Page