How much do you value the difference between 2016 and 2017 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by va1984, Apr 8, 2018.

1. va1984 macrumors regular

I am curious about how much is the difference between a 2016 and a 2017 15" MacBook Pro "worth" according to the users of this forum. Compare the two base 15" models, for example. At present I was able to get a (new) 2017 15" base model for $2100, and I would be able to get a (new) 2016 15" base model for about $300 less. This got me wondering, would I value the differences between the two models at $300?
    What, in fact, are those differences? There are processor changes -- but both models are vastly overpowered for my needs -- I just want the 15" screen, not the computing power.
    The keyboard has seen a minor revision ("evidence", so to say, for this is in the video below), and anecdotally it seems to fail less often. That would be great, but in any case both the 2017 or the 2016 would be slapped on with AppleCare+. I will also add that I have used 3 different 2016-17 MBPs and never had an issue with the keyboard.
    The resale value, in a few years' time, will be different, but...worth $300? Really?
    I'd be curious to see how you all think about this. Granted, if your computing needs are so intense that you actually need the latest and greatest this probably isn't a question for you. The same applies if $300 is absolutely nothing to you.

2. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Since all keyboard discussions are rather anecdotal, I won't comment on the reliability of either keyboard - I'm personally still confident that the actual failure numbers are rather low.

Apart from that, the main difference is the faster GPU, since the 2017 base model comes with the Radeon Pro 555, which is very similar to the Radeon Pro 455 which came with the more expensive 2016 model, as opposed to the Radeon Pro 450 in that base model. That GPU is about 30% faster. If gaming is a priority, this might be worth the money, Then again, an eGPU can easily outperform both of these chips.

The CPUs aren't too different, the main difference are the additional hardware decoding capabilities of the newer CPUs. This means the 2017 MBPs need far less CPU power to play back or edit content encoded in these now supported codecs.

I wouldn't say these differences are worth 300 bucks, except if you have specific use cases in mind which require either.

3. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Other than the difference in performance, the wear and tear components (keyboard and battery) are considerations.

A replacement battery service for MacBook Pro is $199. The newer keyboard revision on the 2017 will be worth more.

4. va1984 thread starter macrumors regular

The $300 difference I am quoting is for new sealed laptops...

5. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Batteries age even unused. They keyboard issue remains. I would say a reasonable difference would be $150-$200 if sealed.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Unless you need the extra horsepower, they will perform day-to-day tasks identically, so I'd personally save the $300.

I think time will tell as to whether the keyboard failure rate on the 2017 model is significantly less or not. I'm not convinced that Apple changed the design to an extent that would affect reliability. Either way, AppleCare+ is probably a safe choice.

7. sergeyz macrumors member

sergeyz

If it is important for you, MBP 2016 runs on battery for about 30 minutes longer than MBP 2017

8. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

For 4K HEVC editing (like with video from the iPhone), the 2017 will be much faster. So it really depends on what you do with it.

9. leman macrumors G3

The base 2017 is essentially equivalent to the mid-range 2016. So the value is there. Whether its worth for you though, depends on what you want to do with it.

10. va1984 thread starter macrumors regular

As I said above, for me processing power is not a question. I don't need any -- the 12" MacBook would have enough. What I need is a 15" display and a keyboard. And I type a lot -- which is why I would really wish it was clear whether or not there have been any significant reliability improvements over the series...

11. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

Our company went through a ridiculous number of 15 inch 2016 models with malfunctioning keyboards BRAND NEW out of the box, although strangely not the 13inch. The 2017s have been perfect, there definitely was a subtle change. It looks like they are replacing the 2016 keyboards with 2017s now (the 2017 have the glyphs on option and command) Do, you could save the $300 play the keyboard lottery and if you get a bad one, they’ll replace it with a 2017. I don’t think the performance difference is significant.

All that being said, this is really silly that we have to be dealing with this at all! Come on Apple and fix this for 2018+ !

12. va1984 thread starter macrumors regular

This has occurred to me. It's actually not a bad plan.
    By the way, when you say a ridiculous number -- can you gives us a ballpark figure? Or a rough percentage?

13. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

2017 is worth $200-$400 more. Both are great machines.

14. leman macrumors G3

Nobody knows for sure. Most what you will find are going to be anecdotal reports. My suggestion: buy the cheaper one and get a warranty extension, this way you should be safe if issues develop.

15. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

I think I returned FIVE to get ONE with a perfect keyboard. This was back when they first came out. I wasn't being that super picky either. For example, one out of the box the R key didn't work AT ALL. The iCloud password contained an R and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why it wasn't letting me sign in until I tried all letters in the email field, since password is hidden.

16. csurfr macrumors 68000

I went through this same thing with the 2016 models. I documented each problem with video so that when executive relations got involved they didn’t think I was crazy. Luckily I’ve not had the same experience with the 2017.

17. exogeneity macrumors member

The keyboard of 2016 will be replaced with 2017 if you ever, touchwood, have an issue. Lol