How much does a fast connection matter?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by P-Worm, Aug 26, 2009.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I currently have Comcast cable internet and I average about 12 megabits per second. We have been considering switching to QWest DSL because it is about 2/3rds the price of the cost of cable. QWest advertises 7 megabits per second. Although the advertised speed is nearly half of what I average, would I notice a big change if I switched down? It seems like when I am downloading large files, I only get about 600KB/s and I assume that is because many servers limit how fast they send out to other computers.

Just so you know, I use the connection to play FPS games as well as upload YouTube videos. I imagine I would notice a downside from the smaller upload speed, but I was wondering if I would even notice anything while downloading.

P-Worm

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I'm on a 3.0 (2.99 actual) DSL connection and it is pretty fast. I get ~300 Kbps (Bits not bytes) on downloads from fast servers. If you get 7.0 Mbps actual you should get 600 Kbps easy with 100 Kbps for other stuff.

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You only get 300Kb/s on downloads? You do realize that's only about 40KB/s correct? I think someone has their bits and bytes mixed up. :rolleyes: