How much does a thermal sensor repair cost??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hapajap2k, Feb 3, 2010.

1. hapajap2k macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Okay, so I´ve come to believe that the problem with my MacBook Pro is related to the thermal sensor. What I experienced was:

The fan randomly speeding up to 6000 rpm even when the comp was at 45-55 degree range and then slowly down to 2000 rpm even when the comp got up to like 70 degrees, way too hot for 2000 rpm. (Id rather the fan be loud and at 6000 rpm than not spinning fast enough allowing the comp to get real hot if you know what I mean). I use my comp all the time especially for cpu heavy music production on Logic Pro.

I also experienced two-three random shutdowns. I reset the SMC and I still have the fan problem. Im currently in Brazil which has no apple stores for me to send to for repairs until I get back in the states in July. I was wondering how much a thermal sensor repair runs, how long it takes as well? In case I decide that I should just buy a new MacBook Pro or something, but I really dont want to spend $1200-1600 at the moment.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Shouldn't be more than a few days once they've got your computer, but I have no idea what the shipping times will be from Brazil. I'm not convinced that the problem is with a thermal sensor, though. If your numbers aren't jumping all over the place as the fan speed changes, it's reporting consistently. That's not to say that the numbers you see are necessarily correct, but they're not the cause of the variable fan speed.