How much does a top case cost?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silbeej, Jan 13, 2008.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So the stupid paint to my top case started to flake off, and i was wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to get a new one. I would install the part, so i just need the top case that goes around the keyboard.

2. AirborneAngel macrumors 6502

I too am interested in seeing the responses to this post (my MB is peeling on the bottom of the case, right where the keyboard case meets the edge, and in turn the bottom case). Will Apple let you yourself install it, or will they make you send it in to get repaired?

3. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Your best bet would be to look on eBay. I bought a new casing for my Powerbook G4 when I first bought it because it was somewhat dented, and the bottom cost me £50 ($100ish) and I didn't buy a top case but that was a similar price. (somewhat cheaper than the $700 Apple quotes).

Hope this helps.

4. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

$500 for the part of the laptop that covers just the keyboard? No way.

Just ask them. They'll know. One time, I had my entire keyboard (12" PowerBook G4) replaced for around $150 USD by Apple. I don't think the plastic cover above it would cost 3x more.

6. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, i'm talking about that metal part that goes around the keyboard that has the power button in it and the track pad. I would imagine that it was fairly cheap, but then again, parts by them selves will always cost more than the entire system together.