Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
hey guys i have a very important question that i need answered.How much does it cost to buy an iPhone without a plan at an Apple Store? I have a black 32gb 3gs, and i would like to buy another one, maybe a 16gb white 3gs for hacking and testing. is it full retail like at&t? or can i get it for 200? thanks in advance!

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
hey guys i have a very important question that i need answered.How much does it cost to buy an iPhone without a plan at an Apple Store? I have a black 32gb 3gs, and i would like to buy another one, maybe a 16gb white 3gs for hacking and testing. is it full retail like at&t? or can i get it for 200? thanks in advance!

You'll have to sign up for the contract, and then pay the cancellation fee. Will cost you $600. Much better to buy from someone else.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Apple sell them outright, factory-unlocked here for A$1040 for the 32GB 3GS.

Shasta McNasty

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
Southern Cali
Not gonna happen without signing a new contract for ATT. I know many people who recently on black friday when att was selling the refurbs for $49 that were buying them and then had planned on canceling the contract to keep the phone.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
A no-contract 16GB 3GS costs $599. The only way to get a $199 iPhone is to sign a 2-year contract so you can get the $400 subsidy. This is true no matter where you buy the phone.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
A no-contract 16GB 3GS costs $599. The only way to get a $199 iPhone is to sign a 2-year contract so you can get the $400 subsidy. This is true no matter where you buy the phone.

Where do they sell no contract Iphones at? I know you can get them on Ebay and CL of course. Just wondering if a store sold them.

D3lta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Cupertino, California
Where do they sell no contract Iphones at? I know you can get them on Ebay and CL of course. Just wondering if a store sold them.

AT&T stores sell them. I believe that if you are already with AT&T, but don't wanna sign another 2 year contract, you can buy a 16GB/32GB for $599/$699.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
Not gonna happen without signing a new contract for ATT. I know many people who recently on black friday when att was selling the refurbs for $49 that were buying them and then had planned on canceling the contract to keep the phone.

Absolutely wrong. Did you go here? You don't have to only buy an iPhone via AT&T.:rolleyes:

xMastemah

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2009
AT&T stores in Charlotte sell them off-contract for the aforementioned prices. Craigslist and eBay are much more viable options though.

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Must be a regional thing, cause I've been to three AT&T stores (including 1 corporate) and 2 Apple stores....NONE of them would sell an iPhone to me without a contract. One AT&T store practically laughed me out of the building when I asked about it.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2009
Absolutely wrong. Did you go here? You don't have to only buy an iPhone via AT&T.:rolleyes:

already tried apple's website a while back. they asked me if i was interested in signing up with at&t, or upgrading with at&t. they did not ask if i wanted a no contract iphone.

mriphonesupply

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Do the hustle...

You'll have to sign up for the contract, and then pay the cancellation fee. Will cost you $600. Much better to buy from someone else.

This isn't entirely true. Att charges $199 and you can get them to wave the $26 activation fee. The cancellation fee is $175, making the total purchase price $374 plus tax. If you are really enterprising you can actually make some money by setting up a family plan and then canceling all 5 lines...you can sell them on ebay for $600 a piece, netting you $150 after taxes and fees. Just sayin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.