How much does it cost to buy an iPhone without a plan at an Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pcs are junk, Jan 5, 2010.

1. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

hey guys i have a very important question that i need answered.How much does it cost to buy an iPhone without a plan at an Apple Store? I have a black 32gb 3gs, and i would like to buy another one, maybe a 16gb white 3gs for hacking and testing. is it full retail like at&t? or can i get it for 200? thanks in advance!

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

You'll have to sign up for the contract, and then pay the cancellation fee. Will cost you $600. Much better to buy from someone else.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Apple sell them outright, factory-unlocked here for A$1040 for the 32GB 3GS.

4. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Not gonna happen without signing a new contract for ATT. I know many people who recently on black friday when att was selling the refurbs for $49 that were buying them and then had planned on canceling the contract to keep the phone.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

A no-contract 16GB 3GS costs $599. The only way to get a $199 iPhone is to sign a 2-year contract so you can get the $400 subsidy. This is true no matter where you buy the phone.

6. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Where do they sell no contract Iphones at? I know you can get them on Ebay and CL of course. Just wondering if a store sold them.

7. D3lta macrumors 6502a

AT&T stores sell them. I believe that if you are already with AT&T, but don't wanna sign another 2 year contract, you can buy a 16GB/32GB for $599/$699.

8. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Yeah the only thing is though, they will nail yah with taxes.

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Absolutely wrong. Did you go here? You don't have to only buy an iPhone via AT&T.:rolleyes:

10. xMastemah macrumors member

AT&T stores in Charlotte sell them off-contract for the aforementioned prices. Craigslist and eBay are much more viable options though.

11. hard-case macrumors regular

hard-case

Must be a regional thing, cause I've been to three AT&T stores (including 1 corporate) and 2 Apple stores....NONE of them would sell an iPhone to me without a contract. One AT&T store practically laughed me out of the building when I asked about it.

12. pcs are junk thread starter macrumors 65816

already tried apple's website a while back. they asked me if i was interested in signing up with at&t, or upgrading with at&t. they did not ask if i wanted a no contract iphone.

13. mriphonesupply macrumors newbie

Do the hustle...

This isn't entirely true. Att charges $199 and you can get them to wave the $26 activation fee. The cancellation fee is $175, making the total purchase price $374 plus tax. If you are really enterprising you can actually make some money by setting up a family plan and then canceling all 5 lines...you can sell them on ebay for $600 a piece, netting you $150 after taxes and fees. Just sayin.

14. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

^^ You also have to pay for one month of service.