Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
I spilled some water on my MacBook Pro's keyboard.

I turned everything off and let it dry.

Now it charges VERY SLOWLY. As it, it stayed at 30% after 8 hours and I tinkered with it and went to sleep, after my ten hours of sleep it was at 50%.

I opened it up, as far as I can tell none of the water sensors have been tripped (It wasn't a lot of water). I'm looking at the white "stickers" on the underside of the keyboard behind the optical drive.

Here's the thing - my warranty is technically void right now because I replaced the optical drive with an SDD. Should I go to Apple and not tell them about the water spill (I can remove the logic board to make sure all the stickers are white) and just have them charge me to replace whatever they need to replace (battery, magsafe board, etc)? (I don't have AppleCare and it has been 6 months since I purchased the laptop.) Should I tell them about the water damage (I feel like they'll blacklist me) and have them do some "water damage repair"?

How much will this cost me?

Maybe it's better to just sell it on eBay explaining why it wont charge well and the just buy another MacBook.

Thanks!

spartacvs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
I spilled some water on my MacBook Pro's keyboard.

I turned everything off and let it dry.

Now it charges VERY SLOWLY. As it, it stayed at 30% after 8 hours and I tinkered with it and went to sleep, after my ten hours of sleep it was at 50%.

I opened it up, as far as I can tell none of the water sensors have been tripped (It wasn't a lot of water). I'm looking at the white "stickers" on the underside of the keyboard behind the optical drive.

Here's the thing - my warranty is technically void right now because I replaced the optical drive with an SDD. Should I go to Apple and not tell them about the water spill (I can remove the logic board to make sure all the stickers are white) and just have them charge me to replace whatever they need to replace (battery, magsafe board, etc)? (I don't have AppleCare and it has been 6 months since I purchased the laptop.) Should I tell them about the water damage (I feel like they'll blacklist me) and have them do some "water damage repair"?

How much will this cost me?

Maybe it's better to just sell it on eBay explaining why it wont charge well and the just buy another MacBook.

Thanks!

Don't say that here because you'll get flamed by the ethics police lol. If you gonna do that just keep it to yourself and not say anything about it here.

It'll probably cost you a lot if the logic board is damage about $750.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
if you can be without it for a time then i think you should take it in, explain the problem ( up to you to tell them about the water ) and then get them to make an estimate on the repair price.
The might be on the good side an do it for a small price.
Just remember to be nice about things and be a little flexible

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
As above, this forum has many self-named moral thinkers. I say, if you can take the SSD out and return the optical drive (not sure if possible), go to the apple store :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.