How much does it cost to repair screen.

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DotCom2, Dec 11, 2013.

1. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

Just cracked the screen on my iPad air. :mad::mad::mad: It's almost a month and a half old. How much does apple charge to repair?

2. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  3. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Thank you for responding and the link. No, I didn't get Apple care but I did put the purchase on my American Express card. Wondering how that works. I purchased the iPad air November 1st.

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

By all means contact AmEx; you might have some type of coverage.

Good luck!

5. mpantone, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

You were very wise to purchase your iPad with an American Express. Their cards have 90 days of purchase protection for these types of incidents (accidental damage, theft). Just call them up, they have helped out thousands of cardholders with undoubtedly the same issue.

Note that Amex also extends the factory warranty by one year.

Any consumer electronics purchase over, oh let's say $30 is charged to my Amex, as well as all major travel related expenses (air, hotel, rental car) and appliances. I wouldn't be caught dead using a debit card for buying consumer electronics; in fact, I only use my debit card in ATMs.

American Express customer service is excellent.

Don't even bother taking your cracked iPad to Apple (or an independent repair shop) without talking to Amex first.

Even if you have renter's insurance to cover your personal property, that's the last thing you want to use. There would be a substantial deductible and the insurance company might raise your premiums.

6. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

In your opinion/experience right?

I had an unforgivable experience with them and cancelled my card on the spot. They defended themselves in the name of customer service. Haha, no, that wasn't going to work.

But, people telling me how I should be running my financial life irk me to no end...

We all make decisions for ourselves - yours are great, but don't put down mine ok?

Op, I'm happy you have recourse. There is a fee apple would charge you - I think it is $250 for the air, but I could be wrong. Factor that when you get the new one and deide on apple care+

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Whoa! Sour milk in your Cheerios this morning? I can't see any comment that was directed to you - only folks trying to help out the OP.

Hope your day gets better.

8. mpantone macrumors 6502

American Express customer service is highly rated in credit card customer surveys, not just by me. Those ratings are a consensus view.

Naturally, each person has their own experiences.

Do some people have bad experiences? Sure, just like some people get bad service at fine dining restaurants, "lemon" automobiles, et cetera ad nauseum.

I do not see any posts written by you above mine, so clearly I did not direct my post toward you. Any reader here can take or leave whatever is posted in these forums.

You don't need to get defensive about your own life decisions when no one was singling you out by name.

Besides, there are other credit cards (I believe some of the Visa cards) that provide an extensive range of cardholder benefits including the aforementioned purchase protection, warranty extension, rental car insurance coverage (damage/theft), etc.

Just look at credit card customer satisfaction ratings and pick something highly rated. Most likely they will offer very good customer service.

Good luck.

Anyhow, since the original poster did purchase the device with an American Express card, and the incident would fall under the card's purchase protection program, the clear course of action would be to invoke that rather than shell out $250 because one random person on the Internet had a bad experience as an Amex cardholder.

9. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

you said it was for 90 days. Is it only on the original purchase? Does the replacement then have 90 days of accidental coverage?

I was sharing the price so he could know there was something and weigh off getting AC+ or not for the replacement.

As for the rest... You come off as pretty high and mighty and only your choices have value and are the correct way to purchase things/function. It rubbed me really wrong.

I'm just a lowly single mom on a tight budget. I personally don't want or need a variety of credit card choices at the moment. It doesn't fit my life, I don't buy things until I can pay cash for them right now.

I don't begrudge anyone using what they want - as I said, in my former 6 figure income life I had a horrid experience with Amex and they justified it as excellent customer experience. It was the kind I could do without and have done so since.

On the flip side, I'm truly happy for the OP that he has a solution to his cracked screen! It is nice to get to occasionally get to use those options. I personally always seems to fall in the, "gee, that ran out/expired/vanished last week, sorry!" Camp.

Hopefully the process is smooth and he is back up and running soon!

10. DotCom2 thread starter macrumors 68030

Happy!

Happy to report back that since my iPad Air is so new, Apple honored the warranty and is replacing the iPad free of charge. They didn't have one in stock so they ordered one and will call me when it's in.
    I LOVE APPLE!