How much does screen brightness affects battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HarryPot, Sep 24, 2010.

1. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I really like having my iPhone between 80-90% of screen brightness, but I'm concerned about battery life.

How much battery life difference are we talking about between using the iPhone at 50% or at 90%, approximately?

2. samcraig macrumors P6

80-90? WOW. That just about burns my retinas. I have mine at 35-40 percent and consider it PLENTY bright...

3. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Apple at genius bar said to keep brightness a hair below 50% cause screen brightness is a battery killer.

Marc

4. HarryPot thread starter macrumors 6502a

:)

I can perfectly read at 35-40%, but at 80-90% I simply enjoy it more.

So I have heard, but I have never seen any actual numbers. I guess I'll have to make some benchmarks myself. Problem is, I don't see myself with much time to make them.:eek:

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Screen brightness at or near full is the single largest battery hog on my phone, worse than push or weak 3G signals. The only time I leave my screen anywhere near full brightness is when I'm outside--most typically in the car. With the iPod app playing and Bluetooth on, I can literally watch the battery drop by 1% every 2-3 minutes or so--it's bad enough that I've gotten into the habit of plugging the phone in as soon as I get into the car unless it's a really short drive. Using the iPod app and Bluetooth indoors, with the screen around 30%, it takes a lot longer to see a measurable dip in battery life.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

While this is true, 50% is not enough for normal use during the day...at least not for me.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you want to know the answer to this, OP, just test your battery life at 100% and see how long it takes to go down a few % and then do the same for 50%

8. rk1991 macrumors regular

why dont you just leave it at fifty and use auto brightness..i feel that helps quite a bit.

9. slayer41 macrumors newbie

I keep mine right under the second s in brightness. And I have auto bridghtness on. I easily can go a whole day without charging my battery.

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I keep mine around 75% and usually don't have a problem lasting an entire day.