iPhone How much does Virtual Home 'Quick Unlock' feature drain the battery?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by easy-peasy, Jan 31, 2014.

1. easy-peasy, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014

easy-peasy macrumors regular

Virtual Home has a 'Quick Unlock' feature that allows you to wake your device by simply touching the touch ID sensor, thus saving wear-and-tear on my home/power buttons (since you don't have to press anything).

But I was wondering how bad the battery drain was if you keep 'Quick Unlock' always enabled?

Does anyone with a 5s already do this? How bad is your battery drain?

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I'd imagine the battery drain would be noticeably higher if it's always on checking

and a small brush against the touch id ring in your pocket or whatever would turn the screen on

3. Mihindu macrumors newbie

Having quick unlock enabled does reduce the battery life but as a whole it's not actually that much. I never turn quick unlock off and I don't have any problems with my battery life.

4. Trevornewell macrumors member

Same here I have been using it for 2-3 weeks now and noticed no difference in my battery life whatsoever. It might ba a very low percentage and I don't use the wake on touch option. I image having that on would be a battery drainer.

5. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Isn't the ring capacitive?

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

The sensor is capacitive, I don't think the ring is capacitive

7. Iripa macrumors newbie

Hello. I've been testing VirtualHome in my 5s. I started to notice the same battery usage in both "standby" & "used time". I believed at first that it was probably "push", nothing, then turned off everything (wifi-edge-3G-location-etc-etc) that could have been turned off.
    Finally the last one guilty would be the "Quick Unlock" option. IT WAS IT. It was draining my battery. Keeping the phone in a constant "ON" state.
    For you to make an idea. My phone, when fully charged goes from 100% to 99% in 10h (2h/Use - 8h/Standby). With this option on, the battery goes from that same % in Max 3h (2:30h/Standby - 30h/Use).
    So i believe that the battery drain is not small, anyway is a Great feature. For me it worth the little less battery for the functionality. I use it all the time on, and even when offcourse i notice the difference in the battery time i still can manage to get my phone to hold on for the day, at least 24h going with no problem.

8. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I've had this feature turned on since virtualhome was released and I havent noticed any significant battery drain. I usually charge my phone overnight then use it all day, when I go to bed around 11-12ish I usually have 10% still left. I havent noticed a difference with quick unlock..... And even if i did I dont think I could get rid of it, its so awesome and convinient. Faster than unlocking your phone without password even.

9. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

I've been using Activator and it has a virtual home button setting. Is there any advantages between the two?

10. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

This is by far my favorite JB tweak. I have it on all the time and the battery drain is not that significant. I am not sure if the recent updates have helped, but it does seem to have less of a drain recently.

It is funny, I am so accustomed to just laying my finger on the home button, if I pick up my wife's phone, I forget to actually press the button.

I will take the lower battery life for this and will NOT lose my JB until I am forced to.

11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

haha same thing happens to me. When I am using my girlfriends iPhone 5 I keep just laying my finger on the home button to switch between apps, go back to the home screen and unlock it. It usually takes me a few seconds to figure it out :D