How much % does your battery use when in Sleep Mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CSilver, Feb 1, 2009.

1. CSilver macrumors 6502

I have recently purchased the Refurb Alum Macbook 2.0GHz and I was wondering if my battery was abnormal...

I left it in "Sleep" mode for like 1 hour and when I came back to check on it, the battery % was dropped from 78% to 72%.

Is that normal ?? I should let you know that I had Wifi connection on, and had firefox browser open when I made it to go to sleep.

Thanks for your time to answer ;)
    -Chris-

2. jaxonkohne macrumors member

3. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

So, if I let it sleep all the night without the charger... I will have like no or low battery left in the morning ? :eek:

4. jaxonkohne macrumors member

from my expereience.. i would always plug my laptop in if it was going to be on oover night... i dont find it shocking... thats liek 8-10 hours of battery life :confused:

5. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess... but I was just surprised since I was out for just an hour for some errands so I just left it to sleep and dada~ lol

I guess I am just getting paranoid since this is my first mac :p:apple:

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

6% battery drain in one hour while sleeping doesn't seem right.
    Hell my iBook needed less than that for a whole day's sleep.

There seems to be an issue with the new Unibody batteries, as there are a lot of cases where new MBPs use up to 3% per hour sleep.
    There is also a lengthy thread over at Apple Discussions in the MBP battery section.

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah, that doesn't sound right... 6% in 1 hour?

It should be 1% every 1-2 hours, or at least, that's what I've been getting.

8. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

So... should I call apple ?? I am not sure if my Refurb Macbook is normal... or not... this is my first mac so I am quite hesitated about making the right call...

edit: I think I am going to test my battery drain while in sleep again tonight... If I get the same result of 6~7% per hour then I will make a call to Apple tomorrow.

9. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Yeah, my macbook is my first mac too, but I have done quite a bit of research and all so I kinda know my way around "problems." I haven't had any with my macbook until a couple weeks ago, where my magsafe light won't turn on/charge. It's working ok now, but randomly it will decide to not work.

But yeah, good idea on testing it again...do you have anything connected to the macbook? Bluetooth devices, ipods, anything? Those suck battery life as well no matter what.

10. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

I just tested for 1 hour sleep of battery drain and it went down from 67% to 57% when I opened the lid to check it....
    This really worries me now... Anybody knows what do to here??:mad:

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Wow...uh, like I said in my other post, do you have anything connected to your macbook?

12. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Nothing what so ever... I even closed all the apps for this test and it resulted worse... What should I do? Is there a way to reset the battery? I have done the Battery calibration couple of times already the day I got it. I wasn't meaning to calibrate two times but the battery just ran out quickly and I didn't plug in while I was using...

Edit: This Refurb Alum Macbook 2.0GHz arrived on Last Friday morning Jan 30th... And I purchased it online on the 27th... This is very frustrating..

13. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I guess the only thing that I can really say is make a Genius Bar appointment and see if you can get it replaced.

14. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

This is Really disappointing.... I researched it quite a bit and trusted the Refurb products as I found some good feedbacks and reviews...

So do I have to call the Apple Customer Service or... sorry its my first mac...:confused:

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Lol, as much as I really want to help, my macbook is my first mac too.

Do you have an Apple Store near you? You can just go to the Apple site and schedule an appointment there.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

16. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

I live in Canada and ya there is one yet its 1 hour and 30 mins drive away...
    phew... Now I am getting thoughts of regrets for choosing Refurb...well I guess its not refurb...

Thank you so much for your quick replies...:)

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Where in Canada do you live? My closest Apple Store is the same distance as you. And it's not just because it is a Refurb, I've read about people with brand new machines and this same thing happened to them too, so you can't really blame it on that. Batteries themselves are never 100% consistent, so pretty much everyone's battery will be different in a sense.

And I'm just glad I am able to help, I mean, I hate when people on these forums just keep saying "use the search" or "there are a ton of threads already about this". While those are true and might save you time, it's just...well, even more of a waste of time.

18. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

I use the sleep function all the time and I use it when I go to bed, after about 8 hours of sleep, it'll have gone down about 5-8%

19. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I am definitely glade that you helped me through this. I live in Edmonton area in Alberta, Canada. I think I will give Apple a call first thing tomorrow morning. Thank you again.
    -Chris-

20. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh, and when you do go to the Apple Store, keep us (mainly me :) ) posted, I would really like to know the outcome.

21. CSilver thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, for sure ;) I will update on what the Apple Customer service says about it.

22. hsleiman macrumors regular

Just thought I would chime in to make you feel better about your refurb... I have a new unibody macbook and have the same sleep battery issue. This is my first mac so I thought it was normal until I saw this thread. I'll check with some of my macbook using friends and see how their batteries hold up. Keep us posted with what customer service says about it:)

23. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Yeah you were unlucky and got a lemon. That much battery drain during sleep is not normal. You should expect about 1% per hour of battery drain on a normal machine. Make sure you get yours fixed with Applecare.

24. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

You probably got my old one!! haha send it back get an exchange.

25. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

The rule of thumb that I use is that sleep power usage should be < 1%/hr. Anything more than that and I know that the machine's either got a bum battery or isn't sleeping properly. I've never actually measured power drain (and the software percentage reading is just estimation anyways), but the rough 1%/hr rule's a pretty conservative one that has served me well in the past.