How much empty space on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Aug 12, 2016.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

I know computers need empty space on the hard drive to function properly. Is the same necessary for iPhone? If so, how much for a 64 GB iPhone 6s Plus?
    Thanks!

2. StarkCity, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

StarkCity macrumors 6502a

StarkCity

2gig of ram is what the device has. It automatically stays within this and will not be something you'll need to worry about.

Edit: you meant disk space.....

[​IMG]

This is what mine has on it.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Things will still function properly even if you don't really have much free space, but perhaps not perform as well as they could. If you an keep at least a gig or two free that would likely be enough for various caches and the like.

4. rui no onna macrumors 603

rui no onna

If you'll note StarkCity's post, there's a 3.4GB root (/) partition. Think of that as your C:\ in terms of Windows (with only the operating system, no apps or data).

Meanwhile, all you have access to is the /var partition (that's what's reported in Settings > General > About). /var is where all your apps and data are stored. If you don't have any free space there, you might encounter problems with installing apps or storing data. Aside from that, the OS itself will still work fine since it's got sufficient breathing room in the root (/) partition.

Personal experience, I try to keep at least 1GB free all the time otherwise, apps like Excel (~500MB) fail to update. You'd need more free space for installing major OTA updates and larger apps (e.g. games).